Just a heads up for 7mm shooters

Carman2012

Hello I am sure alot of you guys may already know this but for the ones who have not tried them that like a high BC bullet you should try out the Barnes 171 Matchburner. They shoot pretty much identical as the 168 berger vlds do out of my rifle and they are only 32 bucks a box. I only bought one box to try and figured if they shot good I would use them for shooting steel and save the vlds for hunting. Back in April I shot a 200lb boar at 590 yards using a 171 MB and it preformed great and my longest kill shot ever. Only time I have ever used one on game so verdict is still out whether they will give consistant results on game or not but I plan on trying them again in the future. I know they are pretty much out of stock everywhere right now but when I emailed barnes they told me they will be back on the shelves in July. Just thought I would give a heads up because I dont see many folks talking about them.

I've worked with them (the 171 Matchburners) a good bit. I gave my 171grain bullets away and have gone to the 180 Sierra hpbt and am working with the 175 Eld-x. The Matchburners seem to shoot alright in lesser cartridges (7rem or less), but I could not get reliable performance out of them when they got above 3,000 fps in my 7stw's or my 7rum.

Thanks for the info. I have been running them pretty mild at 2750 but was planning on working them up a little faster but now that I know that I will just leave like they are. Mainly just gonna use them shooting steel anyhow.

Hello I am sure alot of you guys may already know this but for the ones who have not tried them that like a high BC bullet you should try out the Barnes 171 Matchburner. They shoot pretty much identical as the 168 berger vlds do out of my rifle and they are only 32 bucks a box.

Haven't used Barnes for years. - is that 32 bucks a box for 50 or 100?

32 bucks for 100.They are not the all copper like the triple shocks they are a jacketed match bullet. They are almost identical to a 168 vld. Lists BC at 0.645

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.