JLK Bullets

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Boman, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

I know I'm late to the game but I've just done some reading on the JLK bullets. Who is using them? How do you like them? Can you hunt with them? I'm having a 7mm AM built and was wondering if any has tried them in a 7 Allen mag? Do the jackets hold up to high velocity?

Thanks

2. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Everything that I have been reading to date has put the JLK to the equivalent of the Berger. This said, that means a more solidly constructed bullet for close range (0-400yrds Accu-bond, Bear Claw, Core Lokt, Barnes, GMX, SST, E-Tip). Then use the JLK to distances beyond 400 for better terminal damage at long range. That's if you can pull off shooting two different loads with the same POA.

Tank

3. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

The JLK's are basically twins of the Bergers in form and construction. They both use the same J4 jacket. There are a couple of JLK's with longer boattails that may have a slightly higher BC.

-Mark

4. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

5. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

Thanks sniperjwt. That was a good read.

it looks like for me they won't work in the 7 Allen mag. Kirby said he's tried the Bergers through the big 7 and because of their thin jackets they have problems. Kinda sucks I wanted to try the Bergers too. I was hoping the JLK's had a little heavier jacket.

6. sniperjwt

your welcome Boman.

So i guess that is one draw back to having the AM huh. Well with all the positives you get with it there has to be a negative somewhere.

7. Cougarfan

Cougarfan New Member

Berger does make the 7mm's with 2 different jackets, I believe!

Bill

8. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

You know, you could use the Hornady A-max. It has a pretty sturdy jacket, plus the 162grn. SST (both have a BC of .625). It will open up about like an A-max but a little more controled. They will both open better than an accubond. Like I said, you should be able to really push as hard as you want. The other option is the 175 SMK.

Tank

9. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

I have shot JLK's off and on for hunting for several years. They work great. Mostly the .243 105's and the .264 140's but they have performed flawlessly. I shoot the 105's out of a 6mmx284 at 3330 and the 140's in a 6.5-06 Ackley at 3080. With Berger changing the design of their bullets every 6 months I have switched to the JLK's exclusively. I have shot a few of the 7mm 180's and they seem to shoot right with the Bergers. The one thing I have noticed with the JLK's is that you have to add about .5 grains of powder over the Bergers to get the same Velocity. JLK's seem to shoot a little flatter at yardage as well

10. sniperjwt

yes but im sure Kirby tried the one with the thicker jacket.

11. Boman

Boman Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess I can't have it all! But we sure do try don't we..

I don't know for sure if Kirby has tested the thicker jacket one but I'd be willing to guess that he has.

12. new shooter

new shooter Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried berger 180 gr all ready loaded form hornady? I beleve thats ho makes them for best of the west. The reasen i asked is i order a 111 long range hunter in a savage for grandson the barrel is 9.5 twist 26''. I would like to see if they will work in the 9.5 twist. Some people say the 180 will work some say they woun't in a 9.5 barrel ? Thanks Joe

13. CPGfan

CPGfan Well-Known Member

Hunt Shack is who loads the 180 Bergers for Best of the West. You should be okay shooting them in a 9.5 Twist.