Jack County 5 - 100% Kill

Double Naught Spy

No hogs were educated in the making of this video.

We were able to hunt several properties this weekend, mostly in Clay and Jack Counties of north Texas. Each of the properties had some fields with pretty bad damage, just normal pastureland, but with pretty horrible ankle-twisting rooting that made stalking very difficult. This particular field was no different as we made a 400-500 yard stalk along the fence line, using the few trees along the fence to help mask our movement. However, stalking over the rooted ground was as much about not trying to stumble and fall as it was about trying to be smooth and quiet. Apparently, a lot of the rooting had been done when the field was wet, concreting the ruts into place when the field dried. Sheesh.

Five hogs came into the field and non left under their own power, though a significant amount of them left in coolers.

[ame]https://youtu.be/tLLyiadlgRc[/ame]

What caliber are you using? I got a 6.5 and a 6.8 waiting to go, but after watching hogs on this site and a few others, I'm thinking of just sticking with my .308. I see lots of connecting shots, but more than I'm thinking a .308 would take.

Anytime a bullet does not not do CNS damage, expect the hog to run. That is regardless of caliber. I can show you plenty of videos where hogs ran after being hit with a .308. Once hit but not in the CNS, hogs can often run 40-100 yards (fairly typical). If a hog doesn't drop with the initial impact and is running, shot placement is apt to be less precise and also the shooter is dealing an adrenaline fueled hog.

So CNS is apt to be damaged via direct impact (permanent wound channel), hydraulic impact (temporary wound channel/cavity), and by hydrostatic shock. Being lower velocity and lower weight, each of these facet is smaller on the 6.5 and 6.8, everything else being equal. This is particularly true for hydrostatic shock which is much less likely to occur with the smaller calibers, but isn't a given with a larger caliber.

Interestingly, the one area in which they seem to be fairly comparable in terminal ballistics is penetration between 123/120 gr. 6.5/6.8 and a 150 gr. .308 based on results I have seen in the field.

The appeal of 6.5/6.8 is that it is substantially more powerful than a .223 in the same platform, but without the recoil and sight picture disruption of a bigger caliber such as a .308...which means faster followup shots for most folks, a useful tool for sounders, whether you are quicker on target after the previous shot.

A .308 is outstanding for hogs and I used one for quite a while. The platform is heavier. Recoil is more substantial. It works very well.

So it is all a compromise. Each platform/caliber has advantages and disadvantages and so you need to figure out what works for your situation.

DNS,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, until my 2 year old's back teeth come in I won't be doing much hunting.

In SC, the cover is so thick, I usually only get one or 2 shots in before the hogs scatter into the woods. Lately, I've been using a threaded R700 in 300WM.

Can't wait to get one of the fields cut to improve my visibility. Until then, I'm forced to shoot at targets over bait in narrow fields of view. I have a few large fields I hunt, but the farmer does not want any bait in his fields so I have to spread it along the edges. I'm envious of the wide open spaces you Texans have out west.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.