I've located them. Now what?

Don't beat yourself up too much. It takes a while to not only learn what sounds and sequences are going to work, but to also make them sound right.

I spent a lot of time driving the dogs nuts at home practicing my calling. Now the family doesn't even flinch when I start blowing on some calls.

Howling can be tricky, so listen to some recorded sounds to better understand what the different howls sound like. You may be trying to say come and get it, but actually say run he other way with your howls if you are unsure how they should sound.

Here's the Michigan method....

Roy will like this......:)

We wait for a nice mid winter snow on the ground, get out a white sheet and get out in the field preferrably downwind from a den, not too close Set up the electronic call (with a remote of course), get under the sheet and start the call. Don't move a muscle, just sit there and enjoy the cold ground and pray your butt don't freeze....

Call until they come close and whip off the sheet and blast them.

Works every time. Patience is the buzzword and so's a thermos of something hot or slightly alcoholic.:D

'yotes are smart but they are hungry. Good thing is they keep my wife's cat population under control.........:D

First of all coyotes are very territorial. Second, dont ever underestimate any of their 6 senses. That being said they were either hip to your attempt or they were just announcing their territory. Most coyotes I have howled in come quietly. It is my personal belief that coyotes howling during a set are in ANOTHER territory. Dont trust the howls of electronic callers because they dont always say what they represent. Ed Sceery's howling for coyotes is the absolute best for understanding what different howls mean, I wouldnt recomend howling until you see it. Now that you heard them howl you can better pinpoint a location. Knowledge of coyote behavior and marksmanship are the most important qualities to work on and dont over call your spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.