Is quality brass worth it in a AR platform?

maybe the cheap ones you buy , but the ones I get from stag are HARD. I COULD NOT DEBUR POLISH SMOOTH.
my experience first hand not a story on the net.

Barrel extension isn't very hard, and is easily cleaned up. Just not something I would recommend that anyone do.

maybe the cheap ones you buy , but the ones I get from stag are HARD. I COULD NOT DEBUR POLISH SMOOTH.
my experience first hand not a story on the net.

It's all in the tools you use. From what I can find the ones from STAG are 4140 or 4150 just like their barrels. you can see from the chart that 4150 is maxed out in the 50's for hardness and realistically they probably bring it back down into the 30's for toughness. At work we use cutters, not grinders, on prehard material like A2 that is up into the 60's without any problems. you can't use HSS cutters on that hard of materials just like you can't use your average hardware store files on something in the 50's. A piece of bar stock and lapping compound will do wonders where normal files tap out.

Attachments

• 4150 temper.JPG
    4150 temper.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 106
lots of theory...have yo look at the sixe and location of the corners that need to be polished.
no I was not using an emery board.

just show me one you have done.
It's all in the tools you use. From what I can find the ones from STAG are 4140 or 4150 just like their barrels. you can see from the chart that 4150 is maxed out in the 50's for hardness and realistically they probably bring it back down into the 30's for toughness. At work we use cutters, not grinders, on prehard material like A2 that is up into the 60's without any problems. you can't use HSS cutters on that hard of materials just like you can't use your average hardware store files on something in the 50's. A piece of bar stock and lapping compound will do wonders where normal files tap out.

lots of theory...have yo look at the sixe and location of the corners that need to be polished.
no I was not using an emery board.

just show me one you have done.

Well I guess now I have to do it lol. I have a busy week this week and next week is deer season so it might take me a little while to get to it but I'll be sure to follow up with my success or failure based on my above theory.

I have never been able to do it, so yes I/we would like to see if you have success and what it takes.
pictures please/ tool list
Well I guess now I have to do it lol. I have a busy week this week and next week is deer season so it might take me a little while to get to it but I'll be sure to follow up with my success or failure based on my above theory.

No issues polishing the barrel extension on my barrels, from cheap bca, to criterion. When you use the right tools, and know what you're doing it's not difficult. Barrel extensions are not hardened to anything on the Rockwell scale that is difficult to work. If they were they would be brittle, and that wouldn't work out too well for their intended use.

same comment. show us the results and the tools.
pic are worth a 1000 words.
No issues polishing the barrel extension on my barrels, from cheap bca, to criterion. When you use the right tools, and know what you're doing it's not difficult. Barrel extensions are not hardened to anything on the Rockwell scale that is difficult to work. If they were they would be brittle, and that wouldn't work out too well for their intended use.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.