Is leupold all that there cracked up to be

I'll just say that the only rifle I do have that does not wear a Leupold scope is a .22 rifle that I have a little Weaver scope on , and an old Remington Model 600 that my father gave me that also has a Weaver scope on it because that is what my dad mounted on it many years ago. All of my big-game rifles wear Leupolds and I have never had a single problem with any of them! They are sharp and clear and I just know they work. I hunt hard and sometimes unfortunately they get banged around, but I've never experienced any issues with them. I think they are great scopes and Leupold has a warranty that is second to none in my opinion.

Now my son (15) just purchased with his own money no less, a new scope for his 300 WSM. After looking at several scopes he decided he liked the Zeiss Conquest and went with that. It's a really nice scope and I guess we'll see how it works. I just don't think you can go wrong with Leupold.
David

I have a few Leupolds and like them quite a bit. I even have one on my Mv V in 460. Question though...I find the power ring very tight to turn. Should I send it in to have it checked or is this normal?

Myexperience has been that this is normal....it will loosen with use.

I had a Vari-x II that had a real stiffly turning power ring. I had to really crank on it to get it to turn, but after a few turns back and forth it loosened. None of my IIIs have this problem.

Hicks

I had a Vari-xII that had a tight power adj, sent it back and they fixed it. I don't think it's normal, I have or have owned 7 or 8 Leupolds, and only one was that tight.

They are a chinese scope designed and assembled here. They are the best of the cheaper
scopes, but not so cheap anymore. I own a few and have no complaints. But they have
none of the features of my high end scopes and the glass is not comparable. Their weight
and warranty are better than most other middle of the road scopes. Vortex and Sightron
are the two companies giving them a run for the money. However Leupolds are still
lighter and in a hunting gun that is important to most of us. This of coarse is all just my
opinion based on what I own and have shot.

This bothered me quite a bit so i did some research. As per their site

Leupold || America's Optics Authority

Looks like they design the glass but outsource it. Doesn't specifically say China, only vague references to Asian, Euorpean, and domestic glass producers.

I don't know what to think about this,

Hicks

This bothered me quite a bit so i did some research. As per their site

Leupold || America's Optics Authority

Looks like they design the glass but outsource it. Doesn't specifically say China, only vague references to Asian, Euorpean, and domestic glass producers.

I don't know what to think about this,

Call em' and ask. They have always been very knowledgable, & polite, as well as ready to answer any questions they can to help out. I'm going to thier place in Beaverton next week. If you'd like, ill ask them for you. Just p.m. me the questions so I can pull them up on my phone when I'm there.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.