Is it Reticle or Reticule, HUH?

royinidaho

Anal me sees a fella posting RETICULE, I've been using RETICLE. The Board Software redlines RETICLE. I say, huh?????

The MacMini I use has a dictionary in the task bar so, it being that easy I looked it up.

Here's what I found:

reticule |ˈretiˌkyoōl|
noun
1 chiefly historical a woman's small handbag, originally netted and typically having a drawstring and decorated with embroidery or beading.
2 variant spelling of reticle .
ORIGIN early 18th cent.: from French réticule, from Latin reticulum (see reticulum ).

reticle |ˈretikəl|
noun
a series of fine lines or fibers in the eyepiece of an optical device, such as a telescope or microscope, or on the screen of an oscilloscope, used as a measuring scale or an aid in locating objects.
ORIGIN mid 18th cent.: from Latin reticulum 'net.'

Some of had best check the scopes we use as the reason for those misses may well be the handbag that's in there.:D

If you read all of this yuranerd:D

Reticle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A comparison of different reticles used in telescopic sights. The lower right represents a reticle found in the scope of a Russian SVD sniper rifle.

"Reticle" redirects here. For the pattern used in photolithography, see photomask.
"Crosshair" redirects here. For the fictional characters in Transformers, see Crosshairs (Transformers).
A crosshair or reticle is a shape superimposed on an image that is used for precise alignment of a device. Crosshairs are most commonly represented as intersecting lines in a "+" shape, though many variations exist, including dots, posts, circles, scales, chevrons, or a combination of each. Most commonly associated with telescopic sights for aiming firearms, crosshairs are also common in optical instruments used for astronomy and surveying, and are also popular in graphical user interfaces as a precision pointer. The crosshair was invented by Robert Hooke, and dates to the 17th century.

I read the other post and was going to give you a bad time but I thought that maybe they give out different dictionaries in Idaho than the rest of us use.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Of course I read all your post, Roy. You usually leave us a gem when you write, and you did this time too. I learned what you call that thing my wife has been hittin' me with all these years. And I thought it was just a purse!

empty4by4

I thought "purse" was something wives did with their lips, now I discover it's actually a "reticule"!?

This place has both meaning the same...
reticule - definition of reticule by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

crosshair.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.