Is it Possible?

7ultra

To shorten a cartridge like the 585 Nyati or 577 Tyrannosaur down to WSM lengths, and have it hold a 7mm-338 Caliber bullet. If so, what processes are involved(in terms of case forming i.e. shoulder angle, neck diameter, neck length etc)? And/or Is there some small scale brass manufacturer out there willing to produce a small lot(1000 or so) of cases?

It's possible, but, if you're asking here, that would lead me to believe that you're going to be paying to have all this stuff done and I think you'll find it to be prohibitively expensive and will bring more troubles than it's worth.

I do a 416 Rigby to 30 and shorten it. It's nothing short of a nightmare and the benifit to cost ratio is just not there.

What you'll find is the thickening brass from A: starting with an african game round (thick brass to begin with) , and B: shortening a case so the neck used to be a body, will cause so many troubles you'll just pull your hair out. Other than that, if you're already bald, go for it.

The limits of pressure and case capacity are going to cause more of a hurdle than you might think. If you're looking for speed, buy a long barrel, shoot reasonably priced brass in an overbore case and be done with it. Then when you throw it away, you only have half a million dollars in it.

Thanks for the response,
The cartridge example given(585 or 577) was just that, an example. The question still remains, how would you go about shortening a pre-existing cartridge? Once the said process is done, then go about playing with the shoulder and neck. Any references to manuals or manufactures would be helpful. Just looking for some starting off info.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.