How is this possible?

You could do one in a 12 or 13 twist and use 130grn ttsx. At 2750 or 150 sst at 2600 but you may as well just do reduced loads in a 308!

You could go weird with & shoot deer with a 6PPC also.
But I think you'll find that these purpose built cartridges truly have little use otherwise.

As mentioned these 115 and 120grn pills like the BIBS are flat base, no boattail, the bc is not that good and they are used for 1, 2, and 300yrd benchrest where a high bc bullet is not a necessity, that's why they are not good hunting rounds, now a 8 twist 6br with 105 bergers is a good whitetail/antelope stopper.

I thought I heard that Randy is now doing 30 caliber hunting bullets. I've use the 125 grain Sierras and 135 grain bullets with 1:14 twist barrels with good luck, but not in a 30BR.
gary

You could go weird with & shoot deer with a 6PPC also.
But I think you'll find that these purpose built cartridges truly have little use otherwise.

thinking about the post a little bit, a 6XC in a 1:8 barrel might be a lot better than most people would think. I'd say good for 350+ yards, and that's probably 95% of the shots taken anyway. I once thought about a wildcat built off the .300 Savage case with the shoulder pushed back to about 1.44" and yet with the same over all length. Be an easy case to build and I suspect the ballistics would be pretty good for a small case like that. Kinda like a 30BR on steriods. It should shoot the 150 grain bullets very well, and would be a killer with 135 grain bullets. A 30IMHSA will push a 150 grain bullet well over 2300 fps out of a 14" barrel, and a 22" barrel ought to be good for 2700fps. Be a great round to shoot thru a Savage 99 with the drop box magazine. Better yet a Hi-Wall with a 26" barrel.
gary

A 30BR is 15gr smaller than a 300Savage!
It's 18gr smaller than a 308, which IMO is a poor LR hunting cartridge(because it's too small for the best bullets)..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.