Is annealing worth the hassle?

TrentK16

So I'm currently loading rounds for my 7mm Rm and my dads 300 wm. I feel I have decent loads for each (sub MOA) beings how both are factory rifles with the exception that I have a McMillan stock on my 7mm. I've thought about starting to anneal my brass but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle? At this time I'm only looking to shoot out to maybe 650yds. So I'm not sure if I should waste time with it or not? Will it benefit me besides making my brass last longer? I'm pretty particular with all the other aspects of reloading with the exception of neck turning, I haven't messed with that yet. Anyways any input would be appreciated, thanks

Trent

For best accuracy I say it is well worth the hassle. You get consistent neck tension which will help with ES and SD. I anneal after every shot with my 300 RUM and 416 RUM. I anneal after every two shots with my 7 SAUM and my wifes 25-06.

Reuben

YES.
I buy factory ammo, fire and then neck size 4 times (that makes 5 fireings), I then anneal and fill length size. So far, since I started this I have 120 FC 7mm rm that have had 11 loads each through them and they have just started showing some loose primer pockets. As for the pockets I have placed a steel ball just larger in dia than a primer on a vise held the brass on it and placed a steel rod in the case, taped the rod and the primer pocket s have tightened up. (a tip that I read here)
Also you need not buy a machine dedicated to annealing, 3 seconds over a small blue flame to the neck and shoulder area is all that you need. I use the butaine lighter that my wife has for creame broulee (but we wont tell her that)

It's only a hassle if you are not into it. Just part of the hobby to me. Built my own anneal setup few years back and anneal after every third shooting usually a hundred at a time.

At a buck a case or more for good brass everything helps!! As far as improving accuracy I don't know. The experts say it does but I'm after case life.

It is worth it if you are looking to maintain accuracy over the life of your brass. Without annealing you will start to see inconsistency in accuracy after "X" amount of reloads. One thing i do know is that if its not done properly then you will either see no benefit to it or have an issues with your cases. Consistency is everythign in reloading and the same goes for annealing. You want something that will be able to provide consistent results time and time again. I have the bench source annealer and it works great for me but i justified it by annealing brass for others and for friends which helps out on the cost also.

+1 on "If it's done right". I have been using the BenchSource annealer going on 4 years now and it was one the of best purchases, I've made. I could never get consistent results with the hand held methods, I started out with. With the high cost of brass and the quest for lower SD's and long range accuracy, I believe annealing is certainly worth it.

Copper creek ammo will anneal 100 pieces for $25.00 that includes shipping back to you. I have been pleased with the brass they have annealed for me. Normally get it back in 3 to 4 days after they receive it.

Copper Creek Cartridge Co.

My annealing setup cost just about double that.

I can run it about as fast as any full auto annealer.

Copied from this setup

Saltbathannealingdemo2.mp4 Video by BattleRife | Photobucket

Cheap Lee lead pot.
Potassium Nitrate (stump remover)
Metal jig depth guide I made from random scrap metal
High temp thermometer.

Most go the automated route. I do manual and have no issues. It is fast and easy. One of the main reasons I do manual is I keep my brass sorted in 50 case groups. I clean, anneal, size, and load them as a group. It is easy for me to do manually.

I would suggest trying the manual method and if you see the benefit, start looking at automated, if your volume is enough.

The Ammo Smith on Youtube is good at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgD5D0Wzu-c

I don't know if it helps on accuracy. I have only annealed my 270 wsm brass necked down to a 6.5 wsm. It definitely added to the life of the brass. I plan to anneal more of the calibers I load for.

Most go the automated route. I do manual and have no issues. It is fast and easy. One of the main reasons I do manual is I keep my brass sorted in 50 case groups. I clean, anneal, size, and load them as a group. It is easy for me to do manually.

I would suggest trying the manual method and if you see the benefit, start looking at automated, if your volume is enough.

The Ammo Smith on Youtube is good at it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgD5D0Wzu-c

This is my experience as well. I anneal every 3rd shot just with a simple little setup I made out of a geared down motor and a socket large enough to hold a Wilson case trimmer collet to sink the heat from the head area of the brass. I use tempilac on two cases in every batch just to get my timing down then do the rest on the same timer interval. Accuracy and case life is excellent.

My volume is small enough that I have no need for an automated setup. Maybe when the kids are older and I'm shooting more.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I'm gonna try to get at it this weekend. I plan on using a drill with deep socket to hold the brass then spin it in the flame.

Thanks,
Trent

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.