Is 325wsm too much gun for Northern Whitetails & Black Bear

It has to do with when I hold up the rifle my fore hand lands on the more "on the mag box" than "in the checkering"; where its a proper fit.

Ya the difference is quite astonishing for a short guy.

Gday memtb
Do you have proper stock fit? The difference in stroke length between a short action and a long action is pretty insignificant. IMO

My wife is a bit shorter than yourself…..she's been running long actions since 1974. I wish that I could run a bolt as fast as she does! memtb
Exactly although your more of a Slovakian than a Russian 😜
Cheers

Naw I gotta pass on 6.8 western.

IIRC that cartridge has low case capacity compared to the 284win and the 7mm-08

When I read about it I discounted into the same category as something like a 30 Super carry cartridge which IIRC is smaller case capacity than a 9mm.....

I was never interested in anything smaller than a 284win for Big Game Season
(except for a 243 which would really be for coyote season but big enough to take a deer if seasons overlapped. Where a 243 and 223 are built on same physical size gun....ill take the 243 please!)
You have it mistaken for something else. The 6.8 west is just a hair less volume than the .270 WSM, and is notably higher case capacity than the 284 win and much more than the 7-08.

If you just wanna use your .284 by all means do so, there's nothing wrong with it! But I'm getting kind of confused by this thread after a while…i suppose the question has been answered tho, the .325 wsm isn't too much and the .284 isn't too little. Go shoot something!

The only gun I shoot anything with today is my 300 prc whether it's a cross canyon shot on a bear or a white tail 20 yards away in a tree stand. I'm considering going to a 338 NM or LM. So, no, not too much and there is no such thing.

It has to do with when I hold up the rifle my fore hand lands on the more "on the mag box" than "in the checkering"; where its a proper fit.

Ya the difference is quite astonishing for a short guy.

Just a thought here, if you have not already, you might do well to look into a stock that can be shortened.

Getting a stock that fits properly is KEY to recoil management!

How do you figure that a 180gr at 30-06 velocity has more knockdown? It has the same amount of energy and a worse BC so the further from the muzzle the worse it gets.

I would just get something that you can actually find ammo and brass for and will be able to into the future. 325WSM should have died in the womb.

How do you figure that a 180gr at 30-06 velocity has more knockdown? It has the same amount of energy and a worse BC so the further from the muzzle the worse it gets.

I would just get something that you can actually find ammo and brass for and will be able to into the future. 325WSM should have died in the womb.
Wait are you talking about the 8x57 Mauser or the .325 wsm? The 8x57 can do nearly the same as a .30-06 with a 180. The .325 wsm can do 2850+ with a 220 grain bullet. There is no .30-06 on earth than can safely come anywhere close to doing that.

Wait are you talking about the 8x57 Mauser or the .325 wsm? The 8x57 can do nearly the same as a .30-06 with a 180. The .325 wsm can do 2850+ with a 220 grain bullet. There is no .30-06 on earth than can safely come anywhere close to doing that.

I'm talking about the 325WSM that the OP is referencing in his post and this thread is about and also mentions downloading it to 30-06 velocities…

I'm talking about the 325WSM that the OP is referencing in his post and this thread is about and also mentions downloading it to 30-06 velocities…
Ahhhh gotcha. Had to go and reread the thread, yeah I get it now, getting one of these and loading it light sure seems to be a painfully inconvenient and expensive way to have a .30-06 🤣