iPhone 4s Ballistic Software

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by C.O. Shooter, Nov 16, 2011.

1. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

2. Skyking

Skyking Official LRH Spponsor

I have Bulletflight, shooter, and FTE, I never use FTE. Dont like it. Bulletflight is the one I always use, and the most user friendly. They all spit out the same results. Shooter is a really good one too on my Droid.

3. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

I use fte because of the denalt feature. The one C.O. posted (shooter) seems to have the best of both worlds. I'll be adding it soon to try it out.

4. Fitch

Fitch Well-Known Member

I have both Ballistic and BulletFlight L2. I only use BulletFlight L2.

http://knightarmco.com/bulletflight/

I have 12 rifle/cartridge combinations stored it it. When I head out hunting, all I have to do is select the rifle/cartridge of the day and I'm good to go with all the data about the combination pre-entered during a range session. When I get to where I'm going to set up, I range some likely points, calculate a range table that makes sense for where I'm sitting, and I'm good to go.

It takes a couple of seconds to press the wakeup button, flip the virtual switch, and there is the data on scope clicks and windage I need to make the shot.

I dialed and hit several head shots on ground hogs using it this last summer.

I highly recommend BulletFlight L2. It has everything I need and nothing I don't need. It's twelve bux or something like that. Heck of a deal. I didn't get BulletFlight M (the military version) because I didn't need the extra features.

Fitch

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

This is my second season using Ballistic FTE. I have had excellent success using this program in the field. It's fast, flexible, precise, and the environmental conditions can be optimized very quickly if needed.

6. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

So the FTE takes the conditions off of your phones settings? My thought is it worth the 10$ extra dollars?

7. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

8. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

FTE will pic up weather with a iphone but not an ipod. Mute up here anyway, it's rare
    to get a signal in the field in most situations. I downloaded the shooter app last night
    and entered a few loads. Way simpler to use than FTE and cheaper. Does DA as well and
    the numbers match my other software programs within a click or two. Only two entries
    for multiple range bc instead of 4. I only have about 15 minutes playing around with it.
    I do like the move speed and angle fields. Good for training even if you don't use it in
    the field. It also has a way to populate the weather fields based on your location. Haven't
    played with it yet.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  9. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

Of those 3 which ones offer the following features?

1. click value adjustment
    2. output for sighting conditions vs current shooting conditions
    3. Trajectory validation

10. James H

James H Well-Known Member

I have all 3 on an ipod. I still rank Bulletflight first but only because Shooter crashes whenever I back out to the Shooter screen after calculating a solution. Shooter is worth the $10 if only to have Bryan Litz G7 BCs handy for VLD bullets. Ballistic FTE is too big of a pain to get set up to use, I seriously doubt that I will ever use it in the field. All three will retrieve current environmental data if you are using it on an iphone or have a wifi connection(not likely in a hunting area). Both Bulletflight and Shooter will give you shot angle, don't recall if FTE does or not.

James

11. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

I tried a couple on the iPod. Neither passed my test. Too inconvenient and heavy towards manufacturers offerings. All I want are the loads and data for the rifles I shoot. The rest is busy fluff and not necessary for field use.

I just downloaded Shooter and have high expectations though I won't even fire it up until next spring.

12. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean by Trajectory compensation. FTE certainly does zero weather and click value, it allows a custom click value if you need it. I use .23877 for 1/4 iphy
    clicks, as the custom screen is based on moa. It will give straight 1 iphy values from the
    choices. I've swapped back and forth between both. Long range with big dial ups the
    1 iphy is easiest I guess.

Same with Shooter, it has zero weather. It's click values have about 10 or eleven choices whether you are in moa mils or iphy. No custom one, but in my case it's actually better than
    what I did in FTE.

13. Scot E

Scot E Well-Known Member

Sorry, meant trajectory validation.

14. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

They both give you a drop and wind chart. They also both have the heads up dialing
    for distance and wind. FTE gives you trajectory graphs as well, and a ballistics graph
    wind drift graph and trajectory by altitude and trajectory by angle. I'm not versed in
    putting any of the graphs to use myself.