INVITATION TO A LONG RANGE SHOOT

Ian M

Well, since the MI guys are doing it, I figure we Saskaweeners could put on a shoot also.

I will supply the place and targets. Let's try for this coming January also, January is Blizzard-Month, but what the hell.

The way I see it, we will put the targets out fairly long. Maybe 23 to 25 yards since that is about as far as you can see during lulls in the gusts during a good Sask. blizzard. I will run a 25 yard rope from the firing position to the targets so the guy setting up the targets and painting them doesn't get lost. I figure 2 foot by 4 foot blaze-orange steel plates might show at 25 yards - may have to move closer if the wind is really blowing. Perhaps we could outline the targets with flashing strobelights or lightsticks, just to make sure we can see them.

Might even set up my electronic moving target system, would be interesting to shoot at moving targets when visibility is only ten yards. Might have difficulty keeping balloons on the target holder, blowing them up will be tough also but I'm sure we can handle that. Not sure if the little 1/2 horse motor will run at minus forty, only one way to find out.

Should be fun, I figure we won't have to worry about barrels over-heating, some of them might even get cryo'd during the shoot.

Figure we will need about five bucks for balloons, six or seven bucks for paint , ten bucks for light sticks and about forty-two hundred dollars for heavy equipment rental for plowing a road in to the site in the morning (its about a mile off a main highway, but we will have to plow the main road also). Then we should have maybe eleven hundred for propane heaters (includes propane), eight or nine hundred to rent a bus for warming-up in (we would run the propane heaters inside the bus of course), and another forty two hundred to plow us out after the shoot. We will only shoot for two hours so the snow won't be drifted too bad coming back out. Afraid you guys might have to bring your own lunch so we can keep costs down...

Sure hope lots of guys show up
wink.gif

Ian M sounds like a great time to me. Sounds like you have the same kind of weather we have here in the winter.
wink.gif

Just wish I was closer then I would drive over and shoot. I've done some shooting in ND but that was summer time. Just had to look out for the low flying Canada gooses.

LeMay OUT

Ian,
I think I'll pass on the 25 yard shoot. When we were hitting steel at about 100, the plates expressed their discontent with the set-up by sending some back at us. Just make sure you wear your insulated shooting glasses.
grin.gif

I will be there. Can't be much worse than a Manitoba winter. Set a date and I will get the dog sled ready.

I'm more worried about the steel plates shattering than bullets bouncing off them
wink.gif

I am considering a cold-weather load for my .308's involving a tri-plex load, starting with a good dab of pistol powder, then about the same of shotgun powder and top it off with Varget. Not easy to set a powder measure to do that tho.

Harv, you got that right. Not sure which is worse, so **** much wind all the time. With the cold and snow so early this could be a long sucker of a winter.

If you don't have a heated porta-potty I'm not comming. There are certin standards that have to be met.

Theres nothing worse than banging away at long range targets ( 25 to 28 yds} all day and then having to plant my pearley cheeks on a frozen seat.

JSweet

JS,
Totally forgot!. How about we do some coyote hunting before the big shoot and get some fur to line that seat with... Would have to wait till the winds die down to 30 or 40 mph and the temps warm up to minus twenty for that - hate to get cold when you are lying in the snow calling yotes.

Ian,
Lets see, 20 to 30 mph winds, -20F, sounds like the winter I was In Goose Bay, Lab.

Talk about cold. I found out where the term tinkle comes from. I thought I'd grown an inse till I got back to a warmer climate and certin appendages returned to thier normal state.

I don't mind pulling fur, but I'm afraid the call would freeze to my face permentaly and they wouldn't let me back across the border for thearpy.

But thanks for the offer.

JSweet

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.