Intro and ?

You have less than a week to get your applications sent in if you are going to hunt in Utah.

Spike elk and antlerless applications aren't due till later

You have less than a week to get your applications sent in if you are going to hunt in Utah.

Spike elk and antlerless applications aren't due till later
Thanks Bob, I've been putting int off to try and learn as much as possible about the areas. The reality is I probably wont get a tag any how but might as well know what I'm putting in for. Any recommendations? Bow hunting has been my primary in the past so anything helps.

As for the firearm situation, I appreciate the help from everyone, I ended up going with the savage 111 long range hunter in 300 win mag. I think it will be a good place to start this probable addiction and then I have a reason for another gun down the road lightbulb

Thanks for all the help
Adam

As for the firearm situation, I appreciate the help from everyone, I ended up going with the savage 111 long range hunter in 300 win mag. I think it will be a good place to start this probable addiction and then I have a reason for another gun down the road lightbulb

Excellent choice IMHO. Let us know how it does!

Tank

Thanks Bob, I've been putting int off to try and learn as much as possible about the areas. The reality is I probably wont get a tag any how but might as well know what I'm putting in for. Any recommendations? Bow hunting has been my primary in the past so anything helps.

I would get an archery deer tag then right now. And then a spike elk tag and a cow tag later when they become available

Also buy preference points for elk and deer special hunts as well as any other animals you might like to hunt in ten years from now. It takes a lot of preference points to draw for special hunts in Utah.

Bowhunting for deer will give you an idea of where the elk are and how to hunt them.

I would look for a used remington sendero or winchester laredo. With elk on the menu i would go 7mag on the minimum, with the a big 30 falling into the ideal category. Both are upgradable and should shoot fine at the distance specified.
I AGREE WITH TEX- for a sendero maybe 1000 plus a break (150). maybe you can find a used one or a used laredo. just cry once. a gun
lasts a long long time. i would suggest premium ammo that is expensive unless you limit your shots to 200-300 yards. no telling what your gun is going to like. so you are going to spend a lot on factory ammo trying to find it. one thing for sure my sendero 300 and 7mm like everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts