International Sniper Competition Czech Republic

Ronin

A little over a year ago, myself and a few others in the UK received invitations to attend a competition for Military, Police and guests at a competition organised in the Czech Republic held near to the eastern border with Slovakia.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances I couldn't attend the May competition, but vowed to go later in the year to the next one "come hell or high water".

Last Tuesday a group of 7 of us travelled from various parts of the UK to Prague and then travelled in two vehicles on a dark 5 hr journey to the beautiful region near to where the competition was to be held. We arrived at the hotel around midnight, had a couple of beers and went to bed, safe in the knowledge that the following day was a practice so a late start.

Arriving at the military range set in perhaps the most spectacular venue I have ever seen for a range I was amazed to be looking at the "Mig" for the first time.

DSCN0227.jpg

The weather was warm - about 17degrees, it was sunny, the air still - well at the time the pic was taken anyway.

Another closer view to whet the appetite:

DSCN0229.jpg

As the morning progressed we started to zero at 100, 200, 300 and 500 meters and it became obvious that the standards of shooting was very high, competitors from other "teams" arrived in dribs and drabs until there was a field of 33 contestants sighting their kit in.

The rifles used were either service issue or there own with a selection of semi auto SVD Draganov, Sig, CCZ, AI, Blazer, Remington (standard and customised) Sako TRG's and a custom made tactical made from a Surgeon Tactical action, which I'll go into later.

Sighting in at 500 meters

sightinginwebversion.png

sightinginwebversion2.jpg

Yes he's shooting from seated position at 500!

Sightinginwebversion3.png

There was an obvious language barrier, (if anyone has ever tried speaking any of the Eastern European dialects they are very difficult to follow) however as DS1 (David) was on hand to translate all commands from the RCO were easy to follow in fact David spent so many hours translating conversation and briefings during the week, that he was exhausted by the end of most days.

I'll continue with this over the next few days, but here's one of the more "interesting" rifles:

DSCN0253.jpg

A CCZ sniper rifle and Sako TRG

DSCN0257.jpg

On the morning of the first competition day was a full briefing covering do's and don't and range safety. We then went straight into the comp, which was to be a mix of known and unknown distance targets, shot from sitting, kneeling and prone. There would also be a night shoot and on the final day stalks - shoot - extract exercise.

We were then each allocated a number - that was to be our target number for the rest of the comp.

During the first day, the targets were a real mix - first up hen's eggs on a stick at 20 meters, the gist was you had 10 secs to walk 10 metres to an improvised window, load, kneel down, find your numbered target (they were mixed up and shoot the egg)

Easy eh?

There then followed a variety of other tests, shooting clays at UKD, two shots from kneeling at steel plates at UKD, stress test (attain target, and wait for a whistle to blow - again sounds easy until you have sat for 15 mins in the cold and wet with rain fogging the lenses and bug crawling over you..... etc etc.

That evening was the night shoot, targets were black 4 inch circle at 100 metres and a 6" body shape at 300 metres, the 100 was shot by car headlights and the 300 from parachute flare.

100 metres was 10 sec 5 shots.

300mtrs was 5 flare exposure and 10 shots - you had to be on the ball and as I found out the wind on the range was very unpredictable.

Day 2 saw just about every weather condition, it was warm and sunny, it rained, and it snowed all in 15 mins!

The COF was again an eclectic mix of memory test, UKD and a pistol stage (moving metal plate at 10 metres) it was good to shoot a pistol again, I'd forgotten how much fun it was.....

A competitor being shown a memory test target

DSCN0265.jpg

Moving plate pistol

DSCN0269.jpg

The long walk back from a stress test

DSCN0273.jpg

The final test was three metal gong targets set at UKD, having set up at the 500 metre point, we had to look into a spotting scope which showed the target, locate it ourselves without scopes and range using mildot - NO lasers allowed.

Then there was a ten sec window to fire, if you missed you had 5 sec for reload. Targets were set out at distances between 400 and 680 metres. Not easy but I made 2 out of three first shot.

Day three, final day.

It was cold - minus 4 cold to be precise.

DSCN0284.jpg

We all assembled on the range for a briefing and were given strict instruction on COF, the general idea was that a competitor stalks unseen to a position they can see their target, (3hr window) and on a given signal there would be 10 secs to make one shot, then extract unseen to a safe area within another hour.

Whilst the competitors were doing their thing, walkers and spotters would be trying to capture the shooters - very realistic.

How did I do?

Well I got withing 200 metres of the target, but due to my position couldn't make the shot from there, I bumped into DS1 whilst out there who had the same problem so we extracted to a point where we could see the target and make a shot unseen - all I can say it would have been a hell of a shot - we made it back unseen but no score.

DS1 and my own AI AW's

DSCN0304.jpg

Only one out of 33 scored in fact, with 30% getting pinged well before the signal to fire.

Pleasing to know I wasn't caught.

To summarise, this was perhaps the best and most challenging competition I have been a participant in, yes it took hard work and effort to even get there, but it was worth it.

The competition was a test of ones physical stamina, marksmanship, observation skills, kit, weapons handling and ability to think under stress.

There were very many good friends made out there and I hope to return next year......

Last edited:
Ronin:
Great story and pics. Looks like it was a heckuva time.
1kstr

Shawn

no dates fixed as yet, I think May 2008 will be the next, but maybe at another range.

My guess is that an Edge would do well here.....

When I get a fixed date, I'll forward details.

Redbone

Calibres ranged from 6.5x47, 6mm BR, 7.62x39, 7.62x51, 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338LM.

By far the most popular were 7.62x51.

Rifles were mainly AI AW, Sako TRG, Remington customs and then some SIG's, CCZ and Dragunovs.

Scopes, Schmidt & Bender PM11's, Leupold MK4's and Nightforce by far most popular, followed by some Meopta Tacticals (nice scope) and then the 4 x power's fitted to the Dragunovs - which made life very difficult for the operators especially when trying to connect with sub half MOA targets at 500 metres.

Possibly the nicest scope there (besides my own) was a US Optics "special" - more details of this and the rifle can be found here:

"Britactical" Rifle for Euro Comps

The reticule was fully illumiated ladder mildot and the clarity (like the price) was awesome, in some respects better than my PM11 5-25x56 S&B.

GREAT READ-----Thanks. I love the PM II's and the USO stuff. Pretty much use them for all my sporting rifles but on the competition rifles have to use the NF because of weight and power (I shoot 1k). Looks like fun and you got to see some nice country!!

Hi Ronin

Next May would give me time to get fit and drag Brown Dog along so I can maybe exert a little payback on him :D

One question, the fancy rifle piccy under the heading "more interesting rifles" has a silver coloured disc, looks like a screw head but cant be sure on the lens cap. What is that do you know?

Fantastic thread, if you need someone to carry your bags next year let me know, I can alos polish lens caps etc. Brown Dog will vouch for my spotting skills ;)

HP

Hesketh

no problem, thanks for the kind words, maybe BD will acompany us next year as well. Bring your own rifle though, i'm big enough to carry mine, but thanks for the offer.

The silver disk?, well I cannot say what it is, at first I thought spare battery for illuminated scope, but i'm not so sure.

Hi Ronin,

I am new to the forum and saw your article about the comp. in Czechia. As I live nearby,Germany, where can I get some more infos about it for e.g. where to sign in and if it is going to happen again. You can send me a pm or email if you want.

I am a reserve forces mountainier and as in my profile I have some job interest in it. too.

Thx for reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.