International Hunting

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date

Where have you hunted, outside of the US?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 107796

The only international hunting I've done was in Quebec for two caribou hunts. We were always pleased with how easy it was to arrange thru Club Chambeaux at the time, to transfer our rifles thru customs both ways, and to get 4 bulls of meat and horns home. With our camp on a lake and just off an island filled with ripe blue and cloudberrys, we had the chance to nab some ptarmigan and lake trout to supplement our European camp where we provide our own chow. We stayed in Montreal in and out, which is a beautiful city. All in all about as smooth as can be.
I would like to hunt Finland as I've heard it can be arranged easier than in other European countries and I have some friends there.
Anybody out there with an experience of rather smooth international hunt that can be easily arranged? cheers

New Zealand is pretty easy or at least it was. They recently had a mass killing and that may change it up a bit. Namibia is also pretty easy in and out with firearms. Zambia wasn't bad either. As long as the proper permits are in place ahead of time things usually go pretty smoothly.
Bruce

I archery hunted caribou in Quebec . Going in my gear got inspected (rifle case was only thing big enough for the longbow). But experience wasn't bad, my agent was a hunter as well.

On the return had a big issue at initial check in with the desk attendant..we argued for 45 minutes before I made her get her boss.
..she said i couldn't bring the animal back..i said your website says i can , and is packaged according to your website instructions....yada yada...

Her boss said yea were taking! She slammed the phone (broke it) and refused to wait on me..the next lady at station over was super friendly..

Customs agents inspecting were cool as well...did what they had to do and high 5'd me for getting it done with a long bow and sent me on my way.

This past year I went to Argentina duck hunting...just rented the gun while I was there. Outfitter used the same gun I do (just carried my own choke tube)
Apparently with all their fees and paperwork stamps I would have to re-buy my own gun entering and exiting the country with no guarantee it wouldn't be confiscated of i's werent crossed and T's weren't dotted...gun was rented for $200 for the week.

Had a blast but was extremely disappointed when I found out they recently changed the laws..couldn't bring my ducks back home..should have read the fine print..
Outfitter said year before they had a guy spend a night in Argentina jail after trying to bring back...
I no speaka de espanola that well.. didnt try

Last edited:
Spent our honeymoon in Ireland, told the wife only way I'm going back is if I can hunt, and she was on board. Did catch a trout while I was there, so not hunting, but close. Not to bad for only being 25

CO_Guy, I can take care of all paper work and guide you to hunt in Portugal and in Mozambique as well. E-mail me if you want more details.

Sounds great, I'll keep that in mind and get your info. Amazing that you responded as I saw your first post and was thinking of letting you know that my wife is headed to Sarnadas in Oct, where her sister now lives. We looked at images of the country and it's a beautiful place.

I have hunted South Africa twice. Both times I flew into Johannesburg and the to Port Elizabeth. It was recommended to me by a frequent overseas hunter to use Gracys Tavel Service. Best decision I made. There was a person waiting for me when I disembarked at Johannesburg that greeted me and walked me through the process. It went very smooth and often went to the front of a line or a special line. I watched and talked to a couple of hunters from TX struggle through the process while my wife and I breezed through. My second trip I flew through SFO on my way out and had a problem with a ignorant person at the ticket counter regarding my firearms. I made one call to Gracys Travel and they fixed it quickly. I will always use them for any foriegn travel in the future. Best $200 you can spend on a trip like this.

Yes the recent mass killing (50 dead at 2 mosque locations) has certainly shaken up the gun laws here. So far all detachable magazine semi auto centre fires are to be completely banned (lucky for me that I sold my 2 semi autos years ago), and we a waiting to see how much further the law changes will go. As far as international hunters go, things should remain much the same for you, as bolt actions are not being restricted, (not many international hunters come here with anything else as far as I know) and our government sure likes the revenue collected from hunting tourism.
As for me, I am going to see if I can bag a chamois this weekend, failing that a deer.

Heading to South Africa again in June. Hunted there last year but opted to hire a rifle. Nothing wrong with the rifle but trigger pull was much heavier than I was used to . This time I will bring my own gun. The process is a bit bureaucratic but we are not expecting any major problems.
Travelling direct to European destinations with your own firearm is straight forward but travelling internally particularly with budget airlines can be problematic.
If you are using a good agent you should have no problem.

I have hunted South Africa and was pleased with how smoothly it all went. Pay for advance help with your rifles with the South African Professional Hunters Association. It costs a penny but is worth it. Your guide will meet your flight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.