Interesting cow hunt

Wow! I read the story and the photos were down the page out of sight. I scrolled down expecting to see an older guy?!? I sure hope the surgeons helped you out! You have many seasons to go!

If you see enough seasons, you see enough scope failures to be concerned. I have had two myself, both Leupolds, and I still use one, but I own other brands as well. Being in the business, I know how scopes can fail. When I design, it is based on seeing many failures and knowing that materials and people are not perfect. It is hard to test a scope for issues like this when it is still on the gun. In the lab it is easy to find, but even I don't get to test my own scopes in the labs before hunting season. My home ranges and club are near sea level and in SoCal. I hunt in NW Colorado. The conditions are not the same.

If at all possible, about a month before the trip, I pull off the scope and test it for boresight stability by rapping it fairly hard in several directions and sitting it in a v-block to watch for alignment shifts. I have prevented at least one escape this way. I also run the turrets around to make sure the springs and lube are not sticking. This also prevented another scope from being used. So, I have had over 30 seasons and had two field failures and caught two more before they went out.

Keep up the workouts and diet and best wishes for a full recovery. Do your best to check out your hardware before the season and lets hope these scope manufacturers do a better job in the future. Congrats and Happy Holidays!

Good job sticking with it.

You just made my decision on the debate between Vortex & Leopold!

On in the market for scope for a 300 RUM and a 6.5 PRC.

Leaving Friday morning for the Western Hunt Expo in Salt Lake, was planning on picking Vortex's brain about how well they hold up to recoil while there. The 300 bounces you around pretty good.

Please let know what Vortex says?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.