Installed timney trigger, now won't fire!

John-Pure Precision

LRH Sponsor
I had a smith install a timney trigger on my Remington 700 300 Dakota. Went to shoot it and firing pin is not striking primer hard enough, It will fire every third round. Thought it was a bad batch of primers but have been shooting the same lot of primers out of this rifle with old trigger and shot flawless. I took the firing pin out to see if there was a bunch of gunk slowing it down, it was bone dry. I know I need to take it back to the smith but he is out of town. These triggers are pretty simple stupid to install, I can't imagine getting it wrong. Any advice would be great thanks

I had a smith install a Timney trigger on my Remington 700 300 Dakota. Went to shoot it and firing pin is not striking primer hard enough, It will fire every third round. Thought it was a bad batch of primers but have been shooting the same lot of primers out of this rifle with old trigger and shot flawless. I took the firing pin out to see if there was a bunch of gunk slowing it down, it was bone dry. I know I need to take it back to the smith but he is out of town. These triggers are pretty simple stupid to install, I can't imagine getting it wrong. Any advice would be great thanks

The Timney triggers are wider than the Remington triggers and often the stock interferes with the correct operation of the safety.

Take the barreled action out of the stock and see if it works properly, If it does some inletting needs to be done to relieve the stock from the trigger. This is quite common when the Timney is used.

Just something to look at before sending / Talking to Timney.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.