Installed timney trigger, now won't fire!

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by TrophyHunter_colorado, Nov 19, 2013.

1. TrophyHunter_colorado

TrophyHunter_colorado Well-Known Member

I had a smith install a timney trigger on my Remington 700 300 Dakota. Went to shoot it and firing pin is not striking primer hard enough, It will fire every third round. Thought it was a bad batch of primers but have been shooting the same lot of primers out of this rifle with old trigger and shot flawless. I took the firing pin out to see if there was a bunch of gunk slowing it down, it was bone dry. I know I need to take it back to the smith but he is out of town. These triggers are pretty simple stupid to install, I can't imagine getting it wrong. Any advice would be great thanks

2. Dosh

Dosh Well-Known Member

Trophy, just call or e-mail Timney, they will be happy to talk you through it.

3. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The Timney triggers are wider than the Remington triggers and often the stock interferes with the correct operation of the safety.

Take the barreled action out of the stock and see if it works properly, If it does some inletting needs to be done to relieve the stock from the trigger. This is quite common when the Timney is used.

Just something to look at before sending / Talking to Timney.

J E CUSTOM