Input from Vortex SF II and other makes red dot owners needed.

DartonJager

Although I use a Leupold VariX-II shotgun scope on my turkey gun would like to upgrade my sons turkey guns to red dot scopes. I have only two questions.

#1-All of the data I can find indicates that for turkey hunting I should choose a scope with a red dot 4 MOA in size, is this correct? or is 4 MOA to big for aiming at a turkeys head/neck area out to 50 yards or so.

#2-My number one concern is finding a scope that will withstand the very harsh recoil of 12ga 3" and 3.5" turkey loads for at least a considerable number of seasons. I had a $100 lower cost red dot on the 12ga 3" shooting 1.75 oz loads and after about 100 shots it began to fail to keep zero. One shot at 35 yards, the pattern would be dead center POA the next shot center would shift 4-6" left or right and high or low about the same. All shots were taken from the bench with the shotgun well supported by sand bags I used no other rest or rest system. The scope mounts were torqued down and all screws had lock tight on them. Shot fired standing and seated the results were the same shifting POI VS POA.

So far all my research has the Vortex Strike Fire II with a 4 MOA dot as the best red dot for withstanding the harsh recoil of 12 gauge magnum turkey shells and still be reasonably affordable at $160-$180.

What I would like is the input from those who use Vortex Strike Fire II 4 MOA red dot scopes for turkey hunting what you think of them and how they have held up as well as suggestions from other non Vortex red dot owners who scopes cost is in the $160 to $200 but not over $200 as I need to buy two of them.

Thanks,
Art.

I think 4 MOA would work. I use a Burris Fastfire lll and a Vortex Venom on another gun, both have a 3 MOA dot and that works just about perfect for me. I do know that the 8 MOA dot is WAY too big for me to use.

I am not trying to talk you into or out of using a reflex sight like I do, just asking, have you considered using one of these over a traditional scope?
The reason I like the reflex over a tube scope is:
1) Eye relief is not an issue
2) alignment is not an issue
and 3) you don't have to worry about being bit by the scope during recoil.

I did however at one point want a scoped turkey gun but for the above reasons opted to go with a reflex sight.

Reflex sights aren't for me they are for my two boys in hopes they will reduce their odds of missing due to misalignment with iron sights or a regular scope due to the awkward shooting positions more often than not we find our selves in due to my style of public ground spot and stalk run and gun sneak and peek turkey hunting where we very often we get little or no time to set up on an incoming turkey and have to drop on the spot which often ends up with the turkey coming in at less than ideal shooting angles.

Well took the plunge and bought two Strike fire II scopes at as good a price as I could find from a legit online seller. Will give them a very through workout and let you all know what i think. Might be a while as I'm still trying to fill all 3 of our tags and wont have time till after season to mount and try out the new Vortex SF/II scopes.

My turkey optic of choice on my 870 Super Mag is my tried, true and 100% reliable long discontinued Leupold VariX-II 2-7x33mm shotgun scope. Can't imagine a better optic for the job.

I have a Vortex SPARC II red dot only FN PS90. (sub gun).
It is a "beatch" to adjust and the adjustment values do NOT correspond to what the scope indicates. If your scopes are like this send the d@mn things back.

Eric B.

I have a Vortex SPARC II red dot only FN PS90. (sub gun).
It is a "beatch" to adjust and the adjustment values do NOT correspond to what the scope indicates. If your scopes are like this send the d@mn things back.

Eric B.

Thanks for the heads up should get new scopes in just before my off days and as turkey season will be over will make it a priority if weather permitting to get to my club and zero the scopes. I only have 30 days to return them.

I vigorously researched the Strike Fire II especially looking for any negatives and didn't find one report about adjustment issues. Will sight mine in and report my findings.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.