Inletting Black

I had a good friend who was a Master Stock Maker for Winslow for years. I learned what little I know from him, but he always used bright red lipstick. Works amazingly well, cheap, and readily available, no matter where you are.

I had a good friend who was a Master Stock Maker for Winslow for years. I learned what little I know from him, but he always used bright red lipstick. Works amazingly well, cheap, and readily available, no matter where you are.
I have in fact tried lipstick. The only downside is that it's greasy and manages to work its way into the wood which can cause issues with bedding epoxy's. It does however work and like you said, is readily available at your wife or girlfriends nearest purse.

I tried several things years ago when I started building muzzle loading rifles. I found that any black that had oil or grease in it caused problems.
It will soak into the wood and not cut out in the chips.
I settled on candle soot, Had a candle and holder sitting on my bench lit when inletting. Candle soot does not soak into the wood, Paper thin shavings removes the soot completely, Allowing cutting very tight tolerance on parts and inlays.

Cheap to, Burned down candles from dinner table kept me supplied.

I had some people recommend me Wolf Tracks and Prussian Blue.
We bought Prussian Blue, but have not used it yet. Will most likely inlet a few stocks after Christmas using Prussian Blue.

Attachments

• Prussian Blue.jpg
    Prussian Blue.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 22
It's the same as bone black & powdered carbon, but fine powdered graphite also works the same. Make a paste with a light oil such as 3-in-1 or mineral oil. Stir well to get all lumps, chunks dissolved. Apply with a small artists or modeler's paintbrush.