APA Fat Bastard brake
GG&G heavy duty QD bipod
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 MOAR
TPS Rings (medium)

Shot 6 rounds for sight in, and loaded up an OAL ladder test for 3 bullets:
300 gr Lapua Scenars
300 gr Berger OTMs
300 gr SMKs

Tonight I shot the first 2 lengths of the Scenars. Two 3-shot groups at 100 yds for each OAL:

80 thou off lands - averaged .65"
40 thou off lands - averaged .20"

I still have to shoot the set that are seated to be touching the lands, as well as all three lengths of the SMKs and OTMs. But, the .08" group shot with the Scenars leads me to believe this rig has potential. I'm certainly not ready to declare this a .25MOA shooter, but I am hopeful!

As far as construction, the fit and finish of the chassis is fantastic and the Pierce action is silky smooth. I've never had a tube gun before, but the range of adjustment is really nice. Overall, I couldn't be happier.

I'll let you know when I get some more groups through it, and when I can stretch it out a bit....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 129
Very, very nice rig Brandon, awesome shooting on your part too. Interested in how it will shoot the OTM and SMKs.

I shot the Scenars seated to touch the lands this morning. They shot well, groups of .62 and .34. Keep in mind these are 3 shot groups.

Then I switched to the OTMs. Things got maddeningly inconsistent. Inconsistent to the point where I am strongly questioning if it is the projectile or the shooter...

First off, loaded to mag length they are waaaaay of the lands, and these two groups shot consistently poorly (nice random scattering well over 1MOA).

The next two sets were loaded over mag length:

40 thou off lands: these two groups were both sporadic. The first was two shots within about .5", and a flyer about an inch off of that. The second group was 2 shots into literally one hole, and then a flyer almost 2" off! It sure didn't feel like I jerked one 2 inches, I'll tell you that.

On the lands: the first two in the group were about 1" apart, and shot three went right through hole #1. Nutty. Again there was no noticed major technique flaw... The second 3 shot group was literally one hole and probably the best group I have ever shot at 100 yds. No BS, it measured like .01" over bullet diameter.

I think it is safe to say that these rounds are not an option for me at magazine length. BUT, the inconsistency of the groups closer to the lands has me scratching my head.

I had 0 groups out of 6 with the Scenars where I had a flyer. I had 3 out of 4 with the Bergers where I did. I am very capable of shooting crappy, but the good shots and bad shots all "felt" about the same. But I also find it hard to believe that these bullets can shoot into one hole and then magically produce a major flyer (without my help). What say you with lots of experience loading Bergers?? Common occurrence, or did I shake loose mentally this morning??

I'll load up 10 or 15 more on the lands and see what they do. Frankly, I would rather have 100% crappy results than the one magic group I shot at the end telling me its possible! It's like the 1 good drive I hit every 18...

I hate to come across as obtuse but what do you mean by OTM? Who was the Smith on this fine looking rig? Looks awesome and keep us posted with your success at the range. Thank you for sharing the pics with us too.

Sorry. OTM is the Berger Open Tip Match bullet.

Jim Nordoff and his crew at Pierce Engineering in Lansing MI did the work. I will definitely put out an update as I get it tuned in.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.