Inconsistent case ejection

IceSniper

Latly my Savage M10 hasn't been ejecting cases from the action, to begin with it was just winchester nickel cases that wouldn't eject but now about 50% of the norma brass i fire won't eject either, and it doesn't seem to matter if the bolt is drawn back fast or slow. This is a real pain in the *** when your hunting and try to get of a quick second shot only for the action to jam! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

My rifle has fired 303 rounds but about 25 of those were way too hot and my primer pockets were loose after two firings (46gr Ar2208 w/ 168gr match). Could this of caused it from increasing headspace or something?

Check to make sure that the plunger ejector in the bolt face does not have some brass shavings between it and the bolt body. This will retart or even prevent the plunger from forcing the case out of the receiver.

If you were shooting hot loads, this may well be an issue. Check to make sure the plunger fully compresses and returns to its farthers extension with no resistance.

Are the cases slipping off the extractor of just not ejecting out of the receiver?

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the reply, Kirby. I tryed the plunger and it's ok.
The cases are sliping off the extractor when the bolt is drawn about 1/2 way back. I guess i should of explained it better.

The extractor may be worn or it may also be binding up from some brass chips or other debris. Make sure it slides smoothly in and out totally and that it snaps back into place.

also check to see that the bolt face is not oversized. The extractor will only hold onto the case rim if the offside of the bolt face limits the amount the case can move away from the extractor. If there is alot of slop then the rim will just slip off the extractor as it is doing.

Check those three things, rounded extractor, sticky extractor and then bolt face fit. All can be corrected depending on which one is causing the problem.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Ok, I removed the extractor and it had a little bit of crap in it so i cleaned it all out and made sure it could slide in and out freely, but it made no diffrence. The extractor has a couple of wear marks but it dosen't look rounded out at all.
There is a small amount of movement between the bolt face and the case rim when it's pushed hard against the plunger, so i'm guessing this might be it. Sorry i can't give you measurements but at the moment i don't have a caliper.

What would be involved in correcting this? and roughly what could i expect to pay?

Could range from anything from a new extractor which would not be much at all in price and labor up to possibly needing to bush the bolt face to tighten up the case head to bolt face fit. This would be more but should still be less then $100 I would imagine, I would not charge more then this and probably a quite a bit less for this type of job.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have had the same problem with a couple of savages purchased a year ago. I called SSS and had Lisa send me a couple of replacment extractors. The factory ones were gold colored the replacements were metalic gray colored. The extractor groove to lip was a little deeper and after the switch everything was OK.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.