In the Ear? Really???

right now i'm using 168gr hornady amax. they do ok if you can get at least one in them.

four_zps876d926a.jpg

exits... interesting topic. sometimes they pass thru but not usually. however, 140gr amax in 6.5 creedmoor usually always pass through. i would think a lighter and faster bullet would exit less often than the 168 gr in 308.

when i first started shooting the creedmoor i thought the exit holes were due to the bullet slowing down and not expanding at the extended ranges i was shooting at. however, the 308s must be traveling pretty slow from the ar10, and they usually don't make it through. guess the slow bullet and bigger diameter is the reason??? when an amax does make it out, it's usually a mess.

here are some pics without exits...
dj65_zps64959163.jpg
dj64_zps184a033b.jpg

dj61_zps56416e0d.jpg
dj62_zps2f590766.jpg

and with exits...
dj59_zps635beb26.jpg
dj66_zps8fd4b0d9.jpg

not really a good comparison for me to make. most of the hogs shot with the ar10 are running and i'm just lucky to hit them anywhere. the creedmoor is a custom bolt action. pretty easy to hit anything within 300 yards in the head. here are some old pics posted in another thread, but you get the idea...

long2.JPG

beyond 500 yards, depending on conditions, i'll go for a body shot. it's still pretty devestating. notice the exit hole.

long4.JPG

westcliffe01,

I too live in Michigan (near L Michigan), and after carefully tracking down reported sightings of feral hogs, have found the following:

1. most sightings are on old subdivided farms now owned by persons from cities who feed the pretty deer and turkeys (but somehow expect hogs not to eat the feed). These are the same persons who feed the bears, and then are mystified when fluffy the dog goes missing or a person is attacked by a black bear.

2. near the area are farms run by, shall we say less than professional farmers (some of the pig yards are so secure that I would not try to confine domestic turkeys in them).

3. the people complaining to the DNR about damage DO NOT ALLOW HUNTING ON THE PROPERTIES . or lease "QUALITY DEER MANAGED (read:fed and baited) hunts to affluent people from sh*tcago and other locales.

sooo... while there are a few here it is practically impossible to get to them.

rant finished:-{)>

Let me be the first to congratulate and thank you for taking that many hogs but don't stop.

We kill every hog we see and they are still out of control. we also trap them and there is an endless supply of them still.

I agree with you on the 223 for hogs, It will work but just barely and in a pinch will get you in
trouble.

J E CUSTOM

Where I am my friends hunt them the distance is almost always short, inside 80yds, and we use .30cal and .223 equally effectively.
The .30's are 7.62x39 in SKS's and a Saiga, the .223's in AR's.
We've also used .17HMR but it's always a head shot with those, and it works just fine. Just want to say we did not take the .17's hog hunting, the hogs just showed up while we were hunting smaller game.

i may have found a way to consistently get a bullet in a hog's ear. trackingpoint makes a gun/scope combo that uses a heads up display to let you "tag" an object. then you pull the trigger, but the rifle won't fire until it re-acquires the tag you made. takes some getting used to, but it works.
tp1_zps6a16c4a7.jpg

tp2_zps479d8800.jpg

this one is a friend's in 338 lapua. as you can see from the vid, it's a handful...
[ame="http://youtu.be/hvqWiG7s9Ts"]http://youtu.be/hvqWiG7s9Ts[/ame]

here are some hogs just to stay on topic. they weren't shot with a pistol. i just carried it while looking for them
IMG_0190_zpse5dfb4aa.jpg

IMG_0189_zps59996c71.jpg

20140807_223234_zpsb47f8015.jpg

the brake doesn't come off. everything is tuned to their specs. they even give a 1 moa guarantee at 1,000 yards if you use their ammo. we shot out to 500 and it was easily 1 moa. he's going to take it back to get it re-tuned for a suppressor.

i just stumbled on the hogs in a cotton field south of town that had milo stubble left over as ground cover. it was like shooting dove... i had to mark a spot and walk right to it to find them. that required me to leave the tripod where i shot and go back to it after each recovery to get my bearings to locate the next hog. too much walking to carry the rifle.

ForumRunner_20140826_210645.png

75 yards behind the ear with 168 grain berger....that is in the back of the conservation agents pickup and that is my savage model 12 300wsm.....

In northern Missouri we don't have a lot of hogs and anything without ear tags and not confined is considered feral and shoot on sight. This one has been spotted quite a few times the last few days around my grandpa's farm in the beans and corn. I found tracks everywhere this afternoon but never seen it. I come home to eat and my grandma calls and says it's in the yard so I grab my boots and gun...I find it running along the field on the highway right of way, call the game warden and it dives into the field. ..game warden shows up and the hunt is on...it runs out toward the highway and there's no traffic so I shoot. ..drt bout 20' from the road. ....fun night

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.