In the Ear? Really???

James
Wasn't it you that wanted the picture of Betsy, the pet cow up on the Maps and Google Earth thread?..Anyway did you ever respond to the last picture I sent? Just checking, don't remember a response.

Packrat

Mouse.gif

HEY!
All you lurkers out there, this site has had over 10,000 visits so I know you are out there and the least you can do is to help contribute to the discussion and to help keep djones head swelled up by commenting on the Hogs he sometimes show pictures of. He spends hours photoshopping these photo's so at least some of you can comment.

I mean what does it hurt to throw an occasional "Well Done", "Great Hog", anything to keep him going. Besides, lately he seems to be going dinky dau from the strain of always being in the public eye and has started reaching into the realm of delusion trying to gain acceptance!

Besides, we need someone else to pick ..errr..contribute to the conversation! We're not doing this for OUR health!

There is a post number in the top right hand corner of the view so if necessary, refer to the post number and provide your input.

DO IT! (All except the LRH staff who monitor the site to help keep it somewhat clean and presentable. You guys can stay in the background, please!)

Packrat & jboscobuys

Mouse.gif...................................Hunter.gif

James, get your butt back here....You're always wandering off in strange directions!

Reprieve!......I was supposed to leave here this afternoon and go to Phoenix for a wedding tomorrow, but the poor groom got t-boned in an intersection last night. The truck that hit him ran a red light, broke his left leg in two places just below the hip bone and he is in a cast that covers his RIGHT leg down to the knee, and the left leg is totally immobilized from his waist to his toes. he has a spreader bar between his legs just above the knee. Sounds like it could be a bit drafty.... Wonder how he...well never mind.

****, but that would play havoc with a honeymoon!

Don't mean to make light of his injuries, but we were friends of the Bride and had never met him. Anyway, that means I'm free to tour the LRH sites and input my vast and in some cases half vast store of knowledge as needed.....:D

OK, see you around!

Packrat

Mouse.gif...................Hunter.gif........................................tyranasaurus.gif

**** James, quit shooting, there ain't nothin over there going to bother us!

Hello........Hello.....Hello!

Darn, still ain't nobody here...You'd think some of these people had a life! Lurkers not responding, djones off to the badlands, even the echo's have left.

Nobody posting anything , anywhere. Whole LRH site is emptier than a Jack Daniels bottle in Ft. Lauderdale at Easter! Either that or I'm being, gasp, ignored......Nawww! Good thing I'm honest, could clean out the LRH store and nobody would notice til Monday.

Guess I'll go see what is happening out on the internet....

Packrat

Mouse.gif..........................................tyranasaurus.gif
Hey james, I'm leaving...James?........James????...Oh ****

Packrat.... I think everyone was either out shopping, or out shooting! I tried to go hunting but it was a comedy of errors, so I gave up and went to the range to shoot for a bit. Just trying to get out of town took 30 minutes which is normally a 5 minute drive. Everyone and their pet goat was out, so I finally get out to the range (45 minutes for the normal 15 minute drive).. Keep in mind it's raining and probably 38*... And by gads if I could hardly find a place to park. I usually go out in the winter and on days like this... I'm the only one there. Normally, I only see this number of shooters on the line the weekend before deer and elk season open! But today... I got the only open bench.

I think either guys were just trying to blow off steam after a rough day with the wives shopping... Or perhaps they were avoiding shopping altogether, like myself. Either way, perhaps that's why it's been so quiet "here" today. Personally, I was just giving you the cold shoulder as I was still grieving over the loss of Betsy. How could you? I think I'm in the road to recovery though.... Because I've gone from denial to anger, skipped bargaining and went straight to depression. I suppose that means that acceptance is just around the corner. So... I'm sitting here eating Heath and Twix candy bars to ease my suffering! Lol

Ill be fine.... Though I was honestly starting to worry about you! the second stage of dementia is talking to oneself!

Heck I passed the 2nd stage long ago!...Too quiet without someone to give a bad time to around here. I've probably read the most of the posts that interest me and since I can't see until i have the cataracts removed, don't have much interest in shooting. Particularly when my 12 year old grandaughter outshot me on the 100 yard line last time I went shooting. Really proud of her.

Thinking about starting a thread or maybe a whole new site called "Short Range Shooting" for all of us old geezers that can't see for ****. Got someone designing the web site, but he is soooo slow. Heck he'll probably turn 9 before he finishes it. I can see some of the topics now: Field mice at 20', The relative velocity and merits of the copper BB Vs the black iron BB, Changing to a SS barrel on the pump pellet gun, etc....:rolleyes:

Anyway, glad someone came back. You may be able to tell I got really, really bored!

Later

Packrat

Sharp Shooter.gif

Heck I passed the 2nd stage long ago!...Too quiet without someone to give a bad time to around here. I've probably read the most of the posts that interest me and since I can't see until i have the cataracts removed, don't have much interest in shooting. Particularly when my 12 year old grandaughter outshot me on the 100 yard line last time I went shooting. Really proud of her.

Thinking about starting a thread or maybe a whole new site called "Short Range Shooting" for all of us old geezers that can't see for ****. Got someone designing the web site, but he is soooo slow. Heck he'll probably turn 9 before he finishes it. I can see some of the topics now: Field mice at 20', The relative velocity and merits of the copper BB Vs the black iron BB, Changing to a SS barrel on the pump pellet gun, etc....:rolleyes:

Anyway, glad someone came back. You may be able to tell I got really, really bored!

Later

Packrat

View attachment 42189

Lol... I think your idea for a website on short range shooting is awesome, and to be candid, it might help some of the long range aspirers to become better shooters. Even at 100 yards, I'm somewhat stunned at the atrocious groups I see at the range on a daily basis. Yesterday, there was only one other gentleman that was shooting what I consider to be good groups out to 100 yards and he was a young pup, about 23-25 years old... A kid named Trevor. Most people were looking to be 3-5 or more inches at 100 yards and this was with scoped rifles. Perhaps a little time with light recoiling 22s or pellet/bb guns at 50ft would help them I improve their fundamentals so that they would actually tighten things up later at 100 yards... Or even at 200.

Other topics might include: scope or open sights for 10ft and under? How many pumps for your air gun to effectively kill a moose with a BB at 10 yards, is it really possible to shoot, text your girlfriend, and chug an energy drink at the same time?, how to afford a quality airgun on a paper route budget (crap... I forgot... Kids these days don't know what a newspaper is, let alone what work is... Scrap that one)!

Anyways... I had pretty good success yesterday at the range. I found some .223 American Eagle 50gr Varmint Tipped bullets that my DPMS Sweet 16 shoots .3x" at 100 all day long, so I wanted to see what they might do in my bolt action Savage Hog Hunter .223.

Here's the results. To say I'm impressed is an understatement.
image.jpg

...I found some .223 American Eagle 50gr Varmint Tipped bullets that my DPMS Sweet 16 shoots .3x" at 100 all day long...

not bad for 100ft, but i was at the same range watching you and found some of the 150ft targets you discarded. looks like the wind really wreaked havoc on those little bullets after you stretched it out past 35 yards.

target_zps0a05d3e0.jpg

pak - i just stopped in to change underwear like you suggested. good thing too. looks like i burned rubber all through first gear and got part of second too.

and concerning the 10,000 hits... i think most of those are me checking back to see if anyone has complimented me on the trophies or long shots. unfortunately, i think my eyebrows have scared most folks away from posting.

after i get this monster over to the meat locker i'm taking the head to the taxi for a european mount. will post pics when it's done!

spike_zps6f630e6a.jpg

Ok ok... My secret is out!!

On a more serious note... Holy crap!! You are a freaking master of photoshop. I honestly was stunned when I looked at that target. If I didn't know what it actually looked like, I would have thought your posting was the real deal. I bow to your yoda-esque graphic editing skills. Do you work for Adobe... Or did you just develop the program photoshop for them? I think your talent is wasted on hogs!

And... Are you sure a European mount would do that trophy justice. I'm thinking it would look awesome as a full mount... With a sign over its head, "I offered myself as a sacrifice to the maniac and somewhat deranged baby killer". After a few beers, you might even start to feel good about the whole experience :D. I thought deer veal was outlawed in the Dakotas!

Senor Jones,

spike_zps6f630e6a.jpg

Doggone it, If I had known you could hunt at the petting zoo, I would have had a lot more pictures to post. Must be a local thing!

As far as the mount, as long as it's from the front, don't think it really matters....Just remembering your college days.....:D

Kinda busy right now, will be back later!

Packrat

Mouse.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by djones
if i had a chance to shoot pigs from a chopper you'd have to blast me out of the seat to get your turn! Quote

I was over on another post from J E Custom (More Hog hunting....) and remembered one of my other favorite activities. See the you tube video below and watch it all the way through.

Got to thinking maybe i ought to take the Gyro down to Texas next summer and take djones hog hunting.

Gyrocopter 5.jpg

Then I got to thinking about how flaky he has been lately and I could just see the conversation!

Djones: Whoa, that sure is a pretty thing!

Packrat: Yep, sure is, I had the camouflage paint done in case I ever end up against a Paisley colored sky.

Djones: How much time you got in that thing?

Packrat: Got more than 50 hours sitting in that Pilots seat, I even started it up once or twice. I figured if there was someone else present, might even get brave enough to get it off the ground!

Djones: You mean you've never flown it?

Packrat: C'mon, how hard can it be? You only got to use both hands, both feet, your tongue to key the radio and wiggle one ear to raise or lower the radio volume! Nothin to it! Sort of like riding a bike, except at 3000 feet.

Djones: OK, lets load up!

Packrat: Hey, where's your rifle?

Djones: Awww, left it at home. Brought my rope and thought we'd just lasso them hogs and haul em over the the pen I built and drop em in. That way whenever the LRH post starts lagging, can take one out, shoot it and have my picture taken…Keeps up the interest.

Packrat: Mmmmmmmmm, not sure about this, but we'll give it a try!

35 minutes later:

Djones: Packrat, Packrat, there's a big hog running along the edge of that field…..

Packrat: I saw it…And quit twirling that lasoo, Hey! Watch the rotor!!!!….Aw Shucks too late. Guess I should have told him not to tie that rope around his waist!

Packrat, Yelling: HANG ON, I'LL LOSE A LITTLE ALTITUDE, BUT WHEN WE GET CLOSE TO THE GROUND I SUGGEST YOU START RUNNING IN A CIRCLE FOLLOWING THE ROTOR CAUSE THAT ROTOR IS GOING AT 400 RPM PER MINUTE AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT TRANSLATES TO IN MPH! Oh Shucks, don't recollect ever seeing anybody land that fast before. a perfect 3 point landing . Two hands and his face. Oh well, won't hurt his looks any. DON'T WORRY DJONES, WE'LL GET THAT MILO STUBBLE OUT OF YOUR TEETH IN A MINUTE!!!!!! Heck, looks like he even lost his hat!...:rolleyes:

Nope, absolutely not going there!

Mouse.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone emailed me and asked if the Gyro was really mine? No! that's a stock photo, I just picked the most outlandish paint job I could find, and the guy inside looks like he could be my brother, but a number of years ago, I did learn how to fly a Gyroplane and what they don't say in that video can make a lot of difference, depending on where you are. The majority of Gyro accidents relate to wind. Gyro's are absolutely scary in a cross wind especially when on the ground. The doggone things are so light that crosswinds have a tendency to tip them over, especially when taxiing, or trying to take off and especially right after takeoff or coming in to land. You notice in the Video it was perfectly calm? If you live where the wind doesn't come up daily, they can be a lot of fun.

Wind also got me in trouble once when it wasn't even blowing hard enough to bother the gyro. I had "deadsticked" onto a dirt road alongside a field of wheat stubble just to see how it would land off of a paved surface in an emergency. Landed straight into about a 5-7 MPH headwind. bounced a couple of times and because there was a gate about 100' ahead of me decided to turn around, run back about 300', turn around and take off directly back into the wind. No Problem... Except, as I turned around and gave the engine more gas to taxi back, the propeller blew up all the fine dust from harvesting the wheat on the road and that 5 Mile wind blew it back over me. Would run about 50' and have to stop and slow down the engine, let the dust settle and then run another 50' until I lost visibility again.
I think I ate or breathed about 10 Lbs of dust getting back to where I could turn around and head back, but first. shut the thing down, crawled out totally covered with dust, tried to shake myself off and pulled the air filter. I think I shook about 50 lbs of dust out it and wondered if it would work all the way back to where i had taken off from. When I landed, people started laughing and when I finally looked in the mirror, was a pale brown color all over with wet muddy spots at mouth and eyes. Never felt so dirty in my life. Took me about 3 hours to clean the gyro, dust was EVERYWHERE!

Anyway,I was just hassling Mr. Jones but I will tell you this -They are a kick in the a** to fly and really not that hard to fly when there is no wind, a sunny day and flying about 15' above the surface rousting out Pheasants, etc and hoping you don't get the opportunity to taste what one tastes like very Fresh!

BTW, the Sparrowhawk IS one of the safest ones made. Some time, go into Groen Bros Aviation site and read the history of these things. Very, Very interesting. Anyway, have taken up enough space for today and waiting for djones to get back for our nest round of hassling each other............:D

Packrat

Mouse.gif

pak - you don't get to be the most interesting man in the world without a little hang time (that mite have been a few yrs ago). never could talk the pilot into mounting some 50 cals for pig hunting tho. btw i'm expanding my product line over on the coyote forum. why don't you put on a company hat and join me!

choppa1_zps21accd35.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.