In ear hearing protection

About 5 years ago, I accidentally shot a braked 300 RUM without ear protection. My hearing immediately shut down. It was as though I didn't even hear the shot go off. I could not hear at all for a minute or so. I now have permanent tinnitus in both ears.

So, I finally decided to get some in ear electronic ear plugs. I am very happy with them and do not regret the purchase. Batteries will last 3 or 4 days. I buy them in bulk. These bulk packs will last almost forever and are easy to have on hand or in your pack on extended hunts. Example link for Duracell in the Amazon link below.

OldForty is right, they are not really made for shooting ranges or under shelters, but work well for general shooting in -out in the open- environments and are wonderful for hunting.

Seamans rechargeables might be good for PRS matches and stuff.

Batteries: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VPYWF...t=&hvlocphy=9032960&hvtargid=pla-310686009082

Any hissing noise or other sounds with your sound gear?
Issue might be wind. My Etymotics can do this when the amplification is on in windy conditions. I just turn the amplification off and it stops.

You can buy small "mic covers" for the Etymotics. They do a good job of stopping noise in windy conditions. They are a little cheap though and the foam covers will wear out way before they should. You can replace the foam mic covers yourself though, once you have the bases for them. Perhaps a small piece of low density foam inserted in the Sound Gears would stop the hissing.

Mine make this hissing noise when I am inside my house or outside. As I said I have not used them much and will try them again next time I shoot.

If I remember right I actually have the industrial version of the SoundGear. I don't get any hissing and generally little wind noise.

Sound Gear Industrial model is my choice. I have Sport Ears from a few years ago, but like the Sound Gear better. The volume control on one of the Sport Ears got a little glitchy after two seasons. Sound Gear has no moving parts to go bad. The level of amplification of the Industrial version seems just right to me, I can hear things with the plugs in that I can't catch on my own anymore ( farm machinery, semi-tractors, and of course gunfire have all taken their toll ).

Mine don't have a noticeable hissing noise. (They are the industrial version.)

The Soundgear plugs don't fit my ears particularly well. They seem to wiggle out of my ears after a while. If I crank them in hard enough to stay, they end up hurting my ears after a day of hunting.

I'm going to get some 3M Peltor TEP-100 plugs and see if I like them better. If not, then I will probably just get some custom fit plugs.

Any hissing noise or other sounds with your sound gear?

Tried my Sound Gear plugs while shooting this past weekend. Still have that annoying hissing sound. Maybe I need to contact the company to see what can be done. Mine fit my ears nice. Comfortable and don't come loose. Disappointed that a $300 purchase isn't working out.

Contacted Sound Gear about the hissing noise. They assured me that they should not make this noise. Sending them back to be fixed under warranty.

I've used the Soundgear plugs for about 5-7 years. I seem to have misplaced them after last season's hunting was done...and I couldn't find them this year. I must say that I loved them. They worked great for hunting and I just wore muffs over them at the range. Super comfy all day and easy to hear someone talking to me while keeping my ears protected when needed. Downside: no on/off and they are small. PITA (as in arse) because easy to drop. I lost one on a bird hunt in Saskatchewan once. Was able to buy 1 from Soundgear (great customer service) btw. Get tired of fiddling with battery install each morning in the dark. Used for big game, waterfowl and upland.

So this year I decided to buy some customs. Molded to my ear, fit well etc but they hiss and after i'ved used elk, deer, waterfowl and upland, I regret to say I spent $1600 and they are no better than Soundgear. Still no on/off switch so fiddling with batteries. One upside, they have a string between the two and they are a bit larger than sound gear (like an in-ear hearing aid) so if I accidentally drop one, it's not lost.

Thinking about buying another pair of soundgear; just wish they'd add on/off switches so no fiddling with batteries and a way to put a small cord between the two of them.

I totally agree with them needing a on off switch. The customer service so far has been excellent. Hope they work without the "hissing noise" when I get them back from Sound Gear. Mailed them today.

My son & I use the Sound Gear hunting version. When I am driving to where ever we are going hunting, he loads up the batteries and we put them in. When we are driving home, we pull them out and he pulls the batteries and puts them away. We both are more than happy to wear them all day comfortably. No hissing. They are great for all big game hunting that we do (antelope, elk, bear, muley & whitetail). They are also fantastic for waterfowl hunting. Best insurance policy I've bought in awhile, and cheap considering the impact hearing loss can have on my life.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.