identify mauser action

gspman

I have my dads rifle after he passed on, its a sporterized mauser action , 30-06, rebarreled, timney trigger...old barrel unkown location.
I would like to put a decent scope on this rifle and shoot it and possible deer hunt with it a time or 2 for nostalia sake.
My dad was left eye dominant, yet right handed. So he had really high mounts so that he could shoot accuratley, I am just the opposite and find the current set up unusable.
It has i believe kwikee over/under base/rings.Its the ones that are 1 piece ring/base combo in the rear and again in the front.
How do i identify what type of mauser action to get the right bases and rings for a 2.5x 10 x50 scope?
I have read about m model 98, k model 98, fn model 98...
I ahve no idea about this rifle
There is nothing on the new barrel except a 30-06 stamp.
Help:rolleyes:

There should be some I.D. on the left side rail and on the receiver ring. Since you're going to change mounts and rings, look at the top of the receiver ring while you've got the bases off.

If you can post a few pictures, preferably with the bases off, that'll be a big help. If not, P/M me your email address, and I will help you if I can.

Tom

ALL military Mausers have to be drilled and tapped to fit a scope base to the upper receiver. If that process was not done with a proper jig, you will find alignment challenges as you attempt to zero your scope. There are various kinds of scope bases; some one piece units rise up over the stripper clip feed ramps, and other two piece units depend upon a little gunsmith "leveling" of that aft portion of the receiver. Depending upon how yours was modified will determine which scope base will fit it. You should be good to use the current scope base if you have what I think you have described.

Most of the early scope base units used the dovetail set up found on many different manufacturers rings. If the front scope ring is a dove tail (90 degree lock fit), then most assuredly the back ring is tightened between two screws that press in from opposite sides to adjust and lock that back ring in place. You can buy these at Leupold.com but there are also many other manufactures of those style rings.

Post a picture of what you have if you would like more advice. The height of the rings you pick will be driven by the clearance of the scope objective ring and if it clears the barrel forward of the receiver as you rest it in the split half of the selected scope rings.

1705545097472.png

Long gone.

;)

Recent Posts