mini mauser action?

Ridge Runner

I have the chance to buy one of the last remaining mini-mauser actions in left hand, am thinking about a fast twist 223 AI throated for 75 gr amax's, the mag box on the action is 2.29" is that long enough to make full use of the case with a 75 gr amax seated with the base of the bullet at the neck/shoulder junction? thanx
RR

Not long enough as you are gona loose a lot of valuable case capacity IMHO.
When I think of mini Mausers I think of my favorite walking critter-getter a 527CZ in 223 shooting 40 grain Vmaxes. Lite, handy and just an all around great carry gun. Scewing a fat barrel on it would just seam wrong...maybe?

well research points to the COL of a 223 AI with a 75 amax to be 2.47-2.52" so guess there's no way to extend the mag box enough to make it feasable.
RR

LH Mini-Mauser

Made one, got pics--send an e-address and I will send them on. If you need a stock cut for it, call Donnie Gemes at Show Me Gunstocks--660-438-4568 and drop my name. I got him to use my factory stock for the inletting part and make a classic in claro with ebony grip cap and forend tip. Spent about $200 for the wood and a friend did the work. (bi-lat carpal tunnel and two back surgeries make even stock work too much to handle--BUT I CAN STILL LOAD AND STILL PULL THE 2oz ON MY XP100 RIFLE IN 22-250!)I put in a mag block to make single shot easier--one for a Sako Vixen works well. Shilen #5, 12" twist for 40s, but haven't worked hard with it yet--building new house and getting ready to move. Next gunclub will be 8 miles away!! If you got the action in the white like I did, you will work your butt off cleaning up the metal--lots of machine marks and deep, too. I drawfiled everything first, got GA Precision in NKC to barrel it, and it came out nice. Good luck! Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.