Idahoans sound off.

Hello everyone, not meaning to hijack the thread, but I'm curious as to what you all use as far as reloading for the 300 RUM? I have access to a lot of US869. I don't want to hear from people back east who don't understand what it's like here. How is it to use in cold weather (20 to 50 degrees)? Thanks!

I use between 93 and 99 grains of US-869 in an improved 277 cal cartridge based on the 300 RUM case.

869 is quite temperature sensitive as seems to be the case with ball powders, generally.

I'm limited to ball powders by "powder bridging".

Regardless of availability I'd shy away from 869 in the 300 RUM unless maybe you want to push a 230 offering. Otherwise you may find it too slow with lighter offerings.

869 does ok but only ok. No exceptional shooting with it.

I switch to 7828ssc and 150class bullets and she shoots much much better.

Also, with 94 grains of 869 in that big case about one out of 10 shots is a hang fire.:roll eyes:

My most recent choreographing was done at 65 degrees.

As soon as the day time temp remains in the teens I'll see just how temp sensitive it is.

The rifle maintains consistent accuracy from 93 to 95 grains thus I figure temp sensitivity will be taken care of by the ballistics calculated when I enter accurate data for fps/temp.

HTH.

I am in the process of moving to Weiser, Idaho and looking for hunting friends. Have my own horses riding and packing all the gear that goes with it. If you need a new hunter to join your group or just a camp cook please let me know. Check out my post and you will get an idea of what type of hunting I like.

Well, I figured I would sound off myself. I live in Middleton Id, have property just South of Bear Id, where I do most of my hunting. I shoot everything from golden age flintlock to everything in between. Nice to see so many Idahoans on board.

I am in the process of moving to Weiser, Idaho and looking for hunting friends. Have my own horses riding and packing all the gear that goes with it. If you need a new hunter to join your group or just a camp cook please let me know. Check out my post and you will get an idea of what type of hunting I like.

Welcome partner, your on the wrong side of the state for me but I have family in the Boise area, if ya ever want me to check a scouting report from that country holler.

Sounds good if you get over this way and have nothing to do give me a call 307-389-5150 still in process of moving from Wyoming and need to get hunting areas lined up in this area.