Idaho selway unit

Are you planning on using horses, backpacking in, or hunting from a road or trailhead? One of my friends was pretty successful hunting an area that was about 9 miles in as the crow flies. Now, if that crow were to walk the same trails my friend had to ride on to get to that spot, it would have been a whole bunch more miles…

The harvest statistics for the Selway Zone show a pretty high success rate but you need to be aware that a lot of these elk are taken through an outfitter. It is big country and the elk can be few and far between.

I am also looking to hunt the Selway Bitterroot out of the Hamilton, MT area. Any packers in the area anyone can put me in contact with? I am looking to go to a specific area my dad used to hunt years ago before he passed so I am just looking for pack-in pack-out and basecamp options, not full guide service.

I hunted the Selway last fall, I had never stepped foot there before. I shot a small bull the second day I was there. I ran into an outfitter on horse back as I was walking in, he told me there were no elk in the area. I shot my bull 2 days after he told me that. My advice might sound generic, but glass and walk the south facing slopes for sign. I found fresh scat on a ridge top meadow and then shot mine 500 yards away as it was feeding its way up. There were wolf tracks in the snow on the trail as I was packing out, never heard them howl though.

Sorry, I meant look south at the north facing slopes. The elk are usually on the north facing slopes. I knew what I meant in my head but wrote it wrong.

I am also looking to hunt the Selway Bitterroot out of the Hamilton, MT area. Any packers in the area anyone can put me in contact with? I am looking to go to a specific area my dad used to hunt years ago before he passed so I am just looking for pack-in pack-out and basecamp options, not full guide service.
selway bitteroot is a migration/weather driven time it right its a great hunt and kill an elk time it wrong and you'll see a lot of walking and see a lot of pretty country