Idaho hunting rules proposal

Buffalobob

The Idaho Fish and Game is considering changing some rules about hunting equipment. Some of it makes very little sense to me. Idaho goes way out of its way to make very small rules but seems to over look some very major larger issues.

Anyway, you can follow the link and fill out their survey if you hunt in the state, or you can do what most people do and that is complain after the fact. I wrote and passed hundreds of pages of rules in my career and I am very familiar with the bitch about it later syndrome.

Some of my thoughts are that the hunting population is getting older and it is really hard to see iron sights on a muzzle loader anymore. It is gettng harder to hold a bow at full draw for very long any more and many states are going to allow cross bows for that reason and just how many people really want to hunt with a 50 cal that it is going to make a dent in the deer elk herd. Why outlaw the 45 cal muzzle loader for deer when you have no data one way or the other on wounding and loss rate (that is just the stupidest thing I have ever heard of to propose a rule with no data). Iidaho has some of the weirdest equipment restrictions I have ever seen.

I really liked all of the Idaho Fish and Game people I met up in the Salmon regional office so I shouldn't be too harsh on them.

public comment

[ QUOTE ]
Big Game Hunting Equipment Restrictions
Public Comment Form

Most of the current big game hunting equipment restrictions for archery, muzzleloader, and centerfire were adopted by the Idaho Fish and Game Commission in 1991. Many changes in equipment technology and availability have occurred since that time. Recently the Department has received numerous requests to review the current equipment restrictions.

In November 2006, the Commission held a public meeting workshop in Lewiston to learn about hunting equipment technology and to hear from hunters. Based on input received during this meeting, the Commission wants to hear from additional hunters on a number of potential changes to equipment restrictions. The Commission will be meeting January 10-12 in Boise to consider equipment rule changes for big game hunting. Any rule changes would take effect beginning with the 2007 big game seasons.

Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey. Survey results will be summarized and presented to the Commission.

Centerfire Equipment

Electronic Devices - Currently, Idaho rules prohibit the use of any electronic device attached to a firearm or scope. Some hunters, particularly those with poor eyesight, have requested a rule change to allow for the use of scopes with lighted reticles (e.g. "Red Dot" scopes). It is currently legal to use lighted reticle scopes for hunting upland game birds (such as turkeys) in Idaho, but not for big game.

1. Should lighted reticle scopes be allowed for hunting big game in Idaho?

Yes No No Opinion

Maximum Caliber Restriction - Currently, Idaho does not impose a maximum caliber restriction for firearms used to hunt big game. Some hunters are concerned about the "fair chase" aspects of long-range cartridges and have requested a rule change to prohibit the use of 50 caliber or larger centerfire cartridges.

2. Should Idaho restrict the use of 50 caliber or larger centerfire cartridges for hunting big game in Idaho?

Yes No No Opinion

Archery Equipment

Let-off - Currently, Idaho prohibits the use of archery bows with greater than 65% let-off for hunting big game. All other western states allow bows with greater than 65%. Additionally, the availability of bows with 65% let-off is becoming more limited. Harvest information from other western states suggests that increasing allowable let-off would have no effect on hunter effectiveness or success rates.

3. Should Idaho allow the use of bows with greater than 65% let-off for hunting big game?

Yes No No Opinion

Arrow Weight - Currently, Idaho prohibits the use of arrows weighing less than 400 grains for hunting big game. Some hunters, particularly children and women, have requested allowing the use of lighter arrows for better arrow flight. The states of Montana, Utah, and Washington don't allow the use of arrows weighing less than 300 grains. Other western states do not have a rule regarding arrow weight. Some hunters are concerned light arrows do not provide adequate penetration. Harvest information from other western states suggests that decreasing the allowable arrow weight would have no effect on hunter effectiveness or success rates.

4. Should Idaho reduce the minimum allowable arrow weight for hunting big game from 400 grains to 300 grains?

Yes No No Opinion

Arrow Length - Currently, Idaho prohibits the use of arrows less than 12 inches in length for hunting big game. Some hunters have requested increasing this minimum length to 24 inches to be more consistent with other states and to help ensure against using arrows that are too light, or too short, for adequate penetration. Increasing the minimum arrow length from 12 inches to 24 inches is unlikely to affect hunter effectiveness or success rates.

5. Should Idaho increase the minimum allowable arrow length from 12 inches to 24 inches for hunting big game?

Yes No No Opinion

Muzzleloader Equipment

Traditional Muzzleloader Definition - In 2001, Idaho began implementing traditional muzzleloader big game hunting seasons to offset the improved technology of modern day muzzleloaders and to maintain muzzleloader hunting opportunity. Traditional muzzleloaders are defined as only being loaded with loose black powder, Pyrodex, or synthetic black powder; only being loaded with a patched round ball or conical non-jacketed projectile comprised solely of lead or lead alloy (sabots not allowed); and having an exposed pivoting hammer. Some newer muzzleloaders have an exposed pivoting hammer 'in-line' with the ignition source and barrel, and are currently legal to use in traditional muzzleloader hunts. Some hunters have requested the definition of a traditional muzzleloader be changed to only allow for muzzleloaders with pivoting hammers located along the side of the firearm (e.g. "sidelocks").

6. Should Idaho change the definition of a traditional muzzleloader to only allow for "sidelock" muzzleloaders?

Yes No No Opinion

Muzzleloader Opportunity - In the late 1980s, Idaho offered numerous big game hunts for muzzleloaders and over 10,000 hunters participated annually. Recently, the number of special muzzleloader hunts for big game and the number of muzzleloader hunters have declined. Reduced mule deer numbers, improved muzzleloader technology, and relatively high muzzleloader hunter success are primary reasons for declining muzzleloader hunting opportunity. The Commission is considering whether to restrict all special season big game muzzleloader hunts to traditional muzzleloader. In-line muzzleloaders would remain legal in any-weapon hunts. In short-range weapon hunts, only traditional muzzleloaders would be allowed. Converting all regular muzzleloader hunts to traditional muzzleloader hunts would allow the Commission to offer additional special season muzzleloader seasons.

7. Should Idaho restrict all special muzzleloader hunting seasons to traditional muzzleloaders? Yes No No Opinion

Muzzleloader Caliber and Projectiles - Currently, Idaho allows the use of 45 caliber muzzleloaders for hunting deer, pronghorn, and mountain lion; and the use of 50 caliber for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear. Additionally, Idaho restricts muzzleloader projectiles to no less than .428 caliber. Some hunters are concerned that 45 caliber round balls are inadequate for big game. Some hunters are also concerned that light weight bullets designed for pistols do not ensure adequate penetration on big game. Some hunters have requested that current rules be changed to eliminate the use of 45 caliber muzzleloaders and to include a minimum projectile weight to ensure adequate projectiles are used. Research confirms that heavy, well-constructed bullets perform better in penetration tests.

The Commission will consider the following change:
projectiles must be a minimum of 49 caliber or have a minimum weight of 240 grains for hunting deer, pronghorn, or mountain lion; and
projectiles must be a minimum of 49 caliber or have a minimum weight of 300 grains for hunting elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear
8. Should Idaho implement the above listed caliber and projectile requirements for hunting big game?

Yes No No Opinion

About You - Please answer the following questions.

9. Do you currently live in Idaho?

Yes No

10. Do you hunt big game in Idaho?

Yes No

11. Which weapon do you primarily hunt with? (check one)

Centerfire Muzzleloader Archery

12. If you hunt with a muzzleloader, which type do you primarily use? (check one)

In-line Sidelock ('traditional') I do not hunt with a muzzleloader

13. If you hunt with archery equipment, which type do you primarily use? (check one)

Compound Recurve or Longbow I do not hunt with archery equipment

14. Would you like to receive email information updates from Fish and Game?

Yes (include e-mail address below) No

First Name:
Last Name:
Email:

[/ QUOTE ]

Completed the survey and gave them my opinions. It'll be interesting to see if anything ever changes. Great state and lots of game but they have some weird laws. I agree about the Fish and Game people being great. They go out of their way to help you but they still have to go by the current laws,

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.