Long Range Shoot - Proposal - South East Idaho

royinidaho

Even though its huntin season, though its hot and windy around here, its never too soon to plan.

Here's the proposal:

Long Range Hunting Shoot. To at least 1000 yds.
Range is well developed to 500 Meters. (Buffalo gunners)

You guys work with me to design the shoot, generally. Targets, fees, number of days, rules, etc. Or just a fun shootin' day to keep the industry afloat.

I'm kind of thinking simple here. Carry rifles, sticks/bipods shooting at critter cut outs (can't spell silouette /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) Whatever ya'll think, hell I donno...

Location is Blackfoot, Idaho. Anyone familiar w/I-15 North of Blackfoot. The range is west of the Hell's Half Acre rest area. Blackfoot has all necessary accomodations. (Yeh, right)

This is just a feeler to see if its worth pursuing....

Here's a couple of shot of the place.....

343397.jpg

343399.jpg

Count me in.

I would like to see one of these shoots in say..February. Not much going on that month (especially if you're single) and the barrels cool down better then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Diesel fuel mixtures are fun to shoot at as well as different sized gongs.

I would also like to see sporter/hunting classes, factory classes, unlimited classes, and maybe even some off-hand classes. A shoot we have here in Utah combines all these types and it is quite fun and gives something for everyone to enjoy.

Whatdaya think?

[ QUOTE ]
unlimited classes

[/ QUOTE ]

why not have a 52 pound > .30 cal class? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I might be remotely interested in competing in a stock class or in a bipod / sticks class if the shoot was a one day event.

I would go without question if Shawn Carlock, 50 Driver and GG were competing head to head in any class. (not to offend any other prominent shooters here here but they are within a days drive of the intended range And I have had a strong interest in some aspect of their shooting equipment.)

How about a gunsmith class where the smith has to use a gun of any caliber that they built OR a wildcat class where the shooter has to shoot any gun they want chambered for a cartridge they designed?

Here are two different sets of rules that you can think about.

Mifflin Ghog shoots are by weigth of gun only and a factory rifle has little chance against a light benchrest gun or a full custom.

Policing guns to determine who has a factory barrel but a custom chamber and trigger and accuracizing job is not really feasible. Unfortunately there are people who believe that another mantle trinket is worth more than their honor (not me because I just go to the trophy store and have them engrave me a trophy whenever I want one).

Anyway here are two website that have different rules for shoots such as yours

Ghog 1

Ghog 2

It would be just a little too far for me to drive, so I guess no one has to worry about me winning all of the mantle trinkets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like fun

GG Where and when is this Utah shoot?
Who sponsors it?

Keep us posted if you pull it together, with dates and times.

CAM

There is actually two in Utah. Both are explosive shoots. The newest one is in the tiny town of La Sal inbetween Moab and Monticello. It is in February I believe and they shoot at paint cans full of explosive taped to a cedar tree at 900 yards. It is not terribly difficult but there are lots of explosions to watch so it is good for spectators.

The one I shoot every year is in Elsinore, Utah just south of Richfield. It is called the Kimberly Kaboom. If you run a search on it you will find some pics of last year's event. They also have a website. I usually find it on Google.

It is sponsered by the town of Elsinore and the Elsinore volunteer fire dept. It is put on by Kevin Moore.

They have several classes and each class is at a different range. Ex: Factory rifles shoot out to about 450 yards, off handers are at 100 yards, and the unlimited shooters are at 850-900 yards. To compete in the factory class, you must have your scope on 6x and your barrel must be under 5/8" diameter at the muzzle.

There are <font color="red">No rangefinders allowed! </font>

All targets are explosive and all are 2" diameter regardless of the range. That's right, we shoot at a golf ball sized target at 900 yards! It is **** tough. THere have only been 5 guys who have hit it so far, uncle b, myself, a local guy from Richfield, a guy from Vegas, and a guy from Fayette.

The reason it is so hard to hit (aside from the less than 1/4 moa target) is because there is no backer and the target is bolted to a stake about three feet in the air. The explosive is taped inside a 2" diameter tailpipe piece and is not angled for the traj of the bullet. Uncle B actually hit the lip of the cylinder last spring and spun it right off the stake and the stinking thing didn't blow up because the bullet couldn't enter the pipe!

You also only get two shots each turn and then it is back to the end of the line. By the time you get to the front again, the wind has changed completely and your first shot is a sighter every time. That gives you really just one shot to nail it!

After the shoot, I asked if I could go inspect the target with the coordinators and they agreed. I was shocked to see how everything was setup out there and told the guys they need to make a few changes to make things fair. They agreed and the next shoot will have a steel backer and have the pipe angled up a little.

THere were bullet holes all over in that pipe (and all along the stake too) and the explosive never went off! That tends to tick a guy off when he is paying $2 a shot and never has a chance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway, no one hit it last spring. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif There were however numerous hits at the 400 yard stuff.

Roy,

I think it would be a grand idea to have a match based on LRH, not f class, not bench, etc. I have put on many shooting events, do not let yourself get sucked into having to many classes. I would suggest only 3 classes, factory, 13.5 lbs and below and above 13.5 lbs. I think the fun part of the event would be to shoot some positions with bipod only, stix only or backpack only and then of course some freestyle. Those 3 classes should allow everyone to have a class without feeling "out equipmented". Also I will suggest this from experience do not put out or answer to many questions about the course of fire or you will do nothing but answer the same dozen questions 200 times. Simply give a prepared list, example .... be prepared to shoot from 100-1000 yards with some, all, or none of the following. shooting stixs, bipods, a day pack or a natural prop provided by us. Targets will resemble animals, disks, or other targets. Be prepared to shoot in wind, dust, rain, sun, up/downhill, and most any other condition you can think of. Bring your equipment and your "A" game and lets have some fun.
Also have a list of items not allowed if you choose, some events do not allow range finders. Most of the events I have seen setup like this usually turn into a contest of who can estimate range the best and is open to the bending of some rules. If you want the match to move along at a decient pace do not allow front rests and bench equip this burns serious event time in setup. I would recommend you keep it as close to field gear as possible. Oh yeah count me in if the date is good. I would pick a time of the year when the traveling conditions are OK. In terms of round count some people will have near sporter weight rifles with no brakes keep that in mind.

Points well taken fellas. Some good input.

BTW - I don't even know what F Class is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif And I don't think I want to.

Some guys suggested February. They were from way down south. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Feb, could be like summer or it could look like the Yukon.

Either way and whenever, WYSIWYG - Ya shoot in whatever the weather is that day.

My thinkin' is towards LRH only. By that I mean ya drive a long ways, ya pack in a long ways then you setup where it looks good and hope for a shot. Thus, no one would be carrying a bench/front rest/tripod/etc. That leaves pack/bipod/sticks.

Idaho hunting law says no rifle greater than 15 or is it 16 lbs including every thing attached to it. Every thing connected would be scope, sling, bipod. Break point for weight would be somewhere in that neighborhood.

Factory/Custom? Wonder how to handle that. Seems to me that under 12/13 lbs it shouldn't make much difference? Don't know?

What would the "Winners" expect to come away with? Junk metal, $, pat on the back or kick in the butt?

Fees?

Would like it to be a "fun" thing pretty informal, with much networking on style, techniques and such. Kind of raise the tide and raise all of the boats if you catch what I mean.

Wouldn't want to shoot groups, just shoot at things that do something when hit.

Further insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Your barking up the right tree 16 lb weight limit on all. I think you would get more shooteres and interest if you had a factory class. Those 2 classes would cover pretty much all of it. Do something easy like neck medals for the top 5 that would cost only about 35.00 or so. You need to figure what target costs you will need. You can rent self resetting steel targets from R&amp;R racing I have a couple they are great.

Roy, I would come up and help you in any way to assist in this shooting event. Let me know and I will help manufacture or whatever needs to be done. Preacher from Paul Id.

Sounds good.

How about a two day event. One day for the "pack in and shoot like it's hunting" class and one for the long range BR guys who have more gear than a small country's military. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

THat way, everyone could choose which event they wanted to participate in and then just show up on that day. Those of us that would shoot both matches would stay for both days.

A factory class is the key to participation in my opinion. Most local folks in that area probably are not into the LR game as much as we are and they would feel intimidated shooting against all the high dollar stuff most of us would bring. It just wouldn't be fair and we need those guys to come so participation would be high.

THe reason why we need lots of people there in my opinion is because that is the best way to make the match pay for itself. By charging everyone a small fee for every shot or for every match, we generate the funds for our own prizes while still paying those in charge of the match for their time and effort.

The Kaboom shoot in Utah operates in this manner. The coordinators charge $2 per shot of which $1 goes back into the pot. Then whoever hits the explosive wins the pot.

If the first day was designated the "pack in hunting day", the first half of the day could be the stock class where there could only be a limited amount of "upgrades" to the rifle. THis would not take long and allow the second half of the day to be the tricked out LR hunting guns turn.

THe LR BR match would definetly take the longest amount of time with all the gear involved, so it would take the whole second day.

What do you think?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.