Idaho hunters

Snubbie

I have a non resident deer and wolf tag. It was my intention to backpack hunt unit 43 in the general season.

Is the controlled hunt in unit 44 a real prize and much better than 43? I know there would be less hunters and the success percentage is WAY higher. I wanted to do a mountain hunt and the northern part of 44 is mountainous so I could do that. The draw odds are small with only 22 non-resident tags available.

Also, the season opens earlier...not sure if that's a plus or mid October would still be better.

Any thoughts or experience? Words of wisdom?

I have hunted the northern part of 43 for nearly 20 years and I've hunted the southern border near 44 almost every year as well. The deer herd in the northern part of 43 is nearly decimated from the wolves and the wolves have moved into the southern part heavily in the last few years. Last year the numbers were already down in the southern part. There is way more suitable habitat in 44 and there are more deer. All it cost you is the application fee to put in and it is well worth that for a 44 tag. The reason it's a limited draw and hard to draw is because it's a trophy area and there are some nice bucks. The quality and numbers have been going down over the last 20 years in 44 as well but it's still the best hunt in that area of the state.

I have hunted the northern part of 43 for nearly 20 years and I've hunted the southern border near 44 almost every year as well. The deer herd in the northern part of 43 is nearly decimated from the wolves and the wolves have moved into the southern part heavily in the last few years. Last year the numbers were already down in the southern part. There is way more suitable habitat in 44 and there are more deer. All it cost you is the application fee to put in and it is well worth that for a 44 tag. The reason it's a limited draw and hard to draw is because it's a trophy area and there are some nice bucks. The quality and numbers have been going down over the last 20 years in 44 as well but it's still the best hunt in that area of the state.

I was looking at central to northern areas of unit 43 (Big Smokey area and north) A wolf rug would be a pretty good trophy for a NC boy. We don't get much opportunity for wolves around here (wink). However, a mulie is the #1 objective so it make sense to hunt where they are. Unit 44 produces some good bucks. It would make sense to hunt there if a tag could be drawn. If I got lucky, I could always then move up into 43 and try for a wolf.
Thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Basically the low odd draws like 44 are going to be better than the OTC tags such as 43, if for not other reason than competition. I can't imagine why you would leave 44 to hunt wolves in 43 either.

Have you ever been to Idaho or these areas. Better do a lot of stair climber, there is nothing in the south or the east that will prepare you for these mountains.

Me and my buddy drew the 44 tag last year had a great time hunting that unit and both shot nice deer. Also saw some wolves. I would put in for the controlled hunt and if you dont draw then hunt the general season
retiredcpo

Basically the low odd draws like 44 are going to be better than the OTC tags such as 43, if for not other reason than competition. I can't imagine why you would leave 44 to hunt wolves in 43 either.

Have you ever been to Idaho or these areas. Better do a lot of stair climber, there is nothing in the south or the east that will prepare you for these mountains.

Not sure I even comprehend what your first sentence means, sorry. As far as the second sentence...The original responder said the unit 43 herd had been decimated by wolves. If one were interested in shooting a wolf, it would stand to reason one would go where there was a healthy population of wolves.
While I've never been to Idaho, I have spent considerable time snow skiing in Colorado up to 11,0000 feet and done some hiking in Montana. I am well acquainted with the difficulties altitude can present to us easterners. We learned early on not to ski the first day there! The Idaho areas of interest in my research range from 7k-9k. I live in the mountains of Western NC. Biking, running, backpacking and hiking is the best I can do as far as training, don't much care for exercise machinery. I do appreciate your response, thanks.

edit: bkondeff, just reread your response and my op. Makes sense now, sorry. Thanks for the response, I agree, it's worth a shot in spite of the low draw odds. All I have to lose is the $14 app. fee!

Me and my buddy drew the 44 tag last year had a great time hunting that unit and both shot nice deer. Also saw some wolves. I would put in for the controlled hunt and if you dont draw then hunt the general season
retiredcpo

I have applied for the unit 44-1 controlled hunt and have my fingers crossed! If perchance I luck into one of those 22 non-resident tags, I'd love to be able to pm you with some questions if you didn't mind. Otherwise, I have several areas I'm dreaming of in unit 43 and 48...decisions, decisions. I've been planning and researching for over a year and now, with my tags purchased, I'm so excited I can hardly wait. Don't even care if I shoot a deer, just looking forward to a 4 day solo backpack hunt! Shooting something is just a bonus!

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.