Idaho Barrel Taper

signature542

Hi,

Thinking of building a .338 Snipetac and I beleive the barrel most use is a 32 inch Idaho or Light Idaho profile. I believe I need a 1.450 shank ..what is the taper to the muzzle. Muzzle diametre?

Because of export /import permit restraints I most likely will be using a lilja barrel but I need one to close to the Idaho spec I beleive.

I have a 1.350 Taper 31 at 30 inch in the sytem for a Lap improved but my buddy is keen on going a 338 Snipetac on a stiller 408 action.

Any help with the Idaho barrel profile would be appreciated.

It's probablly a custom taper for a specific barrel maker. But as stated earlier, What the heck is a Idaho taper....??? I'm from Idaho and never heard of it. :rolleyes:

Give us some frame of reference....

Dan

Hi guys

Its a specific taper . Mr Dave Viers at Black Diamond and other custom builders use it when building a 338 Snipetac.

Its commonly known as the Idaho or light Idaho profile .. Its heavy but not too heavy if you get my drift..

Lawtons also use to make a taper for this purpose.

If any one has .338 snipetac the profile of their barrel would be very helpful.

I had a 338 Big Baer, same thing as a SnipeTac.
My rifle weighed in at 16 1/2# with a heavy babinga stock and NXS scope.
Barrel taper, if memory serves was,
1.350 for 5" then taper to 1.1 at 7", then straight taper to .900 at 30" This was my own taper design. Rifle was shooting 3150fps w/300gr SMK.
Do a search on hear, and you can probably find the rifle

In Idaho, the most a hunting rifle can weigh is 16lbs. I suspect that an "Idaho" taper is one that keeps a build at or below that weight. Just a wild guess on my part.

Thanks ICAN

I'm in Australia so things are always a bit harder, parts well everything needs a permit and proper approvals. Gunsmiths are hard to find etc.

Barrels are the same and import/export permits are required. My dealer has an on going permit for Lilja's at the moment and another guy has an order pending for Pacnors

Yep had an Edge on a 700 blueprint but this time for the same cost on a Stiller action I was thinking may as well go the big boomer.Nice rifle but this time going a Stiller ( I have a bare TAC 300 ready for a 7mm Dakota build including a carbon ABS barrel)

My other pic is the .338 Lap improved ...

I have taken game at 590 yards with a borrowed 338 snipetac and I was pretty impressed. Its not a walk about.

I think Blackdiamond rifles recommends a 1.450 shank on his 338 snipetacs.

Anyhow the Idaho profile would be handy to match up ..

I don't believe the shank needs to be 1.450. I seem to remember mine being 1.350, and the action being an OD of 1.450 or 1.50. Could be mistaken, as it was a couple of years ago.
Anyway, I would just do an EDGE, Lapua Ai or 338 Norma. No need to jump up to the 408 case unless you want to.

Thanks guys

I may just end up with a TAC 338 action when they become available again.It seems the 338AI will do what I want with a bit less powder. I have a Taper 31 Lilja in the order pile already which will work out fine.

Wind is the biggest factor out there and if you cant read it it wont matter what you use. Besides the new gen 2 Bergers will work fine.. A buddy is getting higher speeds from his Edge using the Bergers. Interesting results and they expand well

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.