Ian whats up with Encore?

Glock119

Ian, in another post you wrote, "New stuff to come, might be wise to wait a while before making decision - trust me, worth waiting a while"

well, I am interested in an Encore 209x45 Magnum Black powder and have been waiting some time now and was wondering whats going on?

The Shot Show is now over with and any new toys have now been reveild. Is the Encore .45 the way to go or would I be better off with something else?

I like the Encore for the ability to swap barrels as well so I would like to stay with the TC but was wondering if you thought that the .45 might be a better chioce than that of the .50?

Or is there something new or better I am not aware of?

Thanks
Ben

Ben,
Those links are informative, but they do not indicate how nice the rifle is to shoot. The new stock is effective reducing recoil a bunch. Biggest thing is the ease of cleaning - five minutes or so now. Breach plug removes easily, stays clean as you shoot it because of the gas rings. I was invited to the factory and shot it a bunch, it is an amazing muzzleloader. New method of cleaning the threads inside the breach, new method of lubricating the breach plug - outting lube inside on the threads in the barrel, rather than on the plug, new ramrod with a built-in "t" handle for good grip if you stick a patch, new longer flame channel, no need for "special" 209's, hammer swings to left or right to give excellent access under a scope, new scope mounts, swivel studs are moled into the stock, soft cheekpiece and finger grooves, limbsaver pad. No .45, get the .50 because that is where the bullet development is going.
It is a very nice rifle. I am going to hunt with it in a couple of weeks, then do a bunch of test shooting. Going to be interesting.
Good luck with your decision - I believe that the ProHunter is a very significant milestone in the development of in-lines. Plus the one that I shot was shooting superb groups at 100 and 200 yards with 250 Shockwaves. Maybe having the President and G.M. of T/C loading for me was why the rifle shot so well!!! Shot 30 shots, twisted the breachplug out with one movement, cleaned the breach plug with one patch, put it back into the rifle. That is nice and easy muzzleloading.
Shot it with a .280 barrel and it was very accurate, no targets, just beat the heck out of a bunch of small rocks at 200 yards. Kicked about like a .243. Shot a .308 handgun and it gave me two bloodblisters, no idea how to hold the sucker correctly, lots of noice and kick with that little bruiser.
X7 has a shorter barrel, carries and points like a carbine. Very nice rig, modeled after the Model Seven Remington rifle for handling.

Ian, thanks for the input but puzzled and have a few more questions please.

I believe it was the beginning of last year you were playing with the black powders and were working on some load developments with powders, bullets, and playing with the wind. And I thought you said the best choice for long range and accuracy was to go with the .45. But now your saying to go with the .50 because of bullet selection?

Also maybe you might know, and then again maybe not but why do they always make stuff in stainless but not in chrome molly steel? I thought chrome molly steel was stronger and would not gull like stainless. If that is true then why would they want to make a hinged gun that has a high ware spot which is at the pin in stainless? Just wondering, as TC does it a lot they make something special then they only make it in stainless. Would you have a guess why. I only ask as you have had the opportunity to talk and rub elbows with them and I thought maybe you may have heard something.

I do thank you for your time and help,
Ben

As good as some of the .45's were for deer they did not sell. As good as chrome moly is for making rifles it does not sell like stainless. The consumer makes some of these decisions since the bottom line is selling guns. The manufacturers have pretty much decided that the .45, .54 and .52 have not sold well enough to justify including in the newest rifles being offered, like the new ProHunter, Remington and guns from CVA and Traditions. That is not to say there is anything wrong with them, just that the .50 is outselling them by a significant margin. That is why the new developments in bullets are in .50 cal. (and the ones that nobody knows about are also in .50 and they are really slick).

I had a .45 that shot very well, it followed a good old buddy home to Alberta last year and he is enjoying it a lot. When I get an inline for my own use I always take a plain-Jane blued with black stock since I that is my favorite. If the rifle has to be stainless, no biggie since there is virtually no difference in the two - stainless rusts about like chrome moly but just looks different when it oxidizes. At least that is my experience with having a few guns get rusty over the years. "Stainless" is only a word, it is not nearly the property we would like to think it is.

I have an Encore that is on its second trigger assembly right now and the pin is still nice and snug. Have shot many thousands of shots through Encores without having an problems with loose pins, nor have I heard of any so far. The current Encores have significantly better tolerances in the receivers than they did a few years ago due to a brand new CNC machine in use now.

Hey, can't a guy change his mind without you guys referring to a past statement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif You startin' to treat me like I am one of those pesky gun-writers or somethin'.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.