I want to build an AR help me get started

Tikkamike

I want to build an AR for coyote hunting, I will probably do 22 nosler because I already have one in a bolt gun that I really like. I am thinking about assembling one from the stripped lower on up. Where should I start? I want a nice quality rifle but I dont need it to be anything crazy, accuracy, weight and function are my criteria.

I would start with a good quality match grade barrel, SLR adjustable clamp-on style gas block , Giselle SSA-E trigger(my choice) and good quality optics, these are the 4 critical components to achieve your best accuracy, all your other parts, well it's like splitting hairs and is personal preference

Last edited:
I'd start with a decent "quality"(Name) lower. Aero, Seekins, Spikes etc. I wouldn't go crazy here and put the extra money in a top notch barrel, Good drop in trigger maybe an Elf.. Hydraulic buffer.

I'm a big fan of Aeros M4e1 series. The lower had some extra features but is still milspec, like a threaded bolt catch pin. I have both atlas uppers and enhanced uppers and like both depending on how wide you like your handguard.

edit*

if you shop around, specifically schuyler arms and armorally, you can have a lower, upper and handguard in the ~250 range. Which for the quality is very impressive per dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as tools you need, Buy once! Building them is addictive and most people keep on building them. I use the Brownells torque tool below, so you can use it on any upper. Don't go cheap on any tool because "you'll only use it once", it'll break on your 2nd or 3rd build and you'll be buying again...:rolleyes: don't ask how I know. Like others said, stick to main stream brands and put money into bolt, barrel and trigger. I have put together quite a few, and even once built a Grendel on a billet upper, rebuilt all components on a mill spec upper and than back to the billet. As far as I could tell it shot the same all three times. (1/2"-3/4"). The billet upper looked nicer though!
My main problem with group shooting semi autos, is I can't let them cool down so my groups open up with the heat.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...-barrel-extension-torque-tools-prod27452.aspx

I would run from areo(lack of)precision.
entry level to me is psa, which my last have been excellent kits.
its not just a barrel. yes you need quality, but what you really need is a
CHAMBER cut for what YOU are going to shoot.
mag length plus oal adjustment to get accuracy

I was told to put my money in three places. The barrel, bolt carrier group, and trigger. Everything else is sort of whatever you want. My frankengun AR is a ruger lower with seekins lower parts, Aero upper with a black rain ordinance BCG($$)and upper parts. A Wilson combat barrel with Wilson combat gas block ($$$) and a giessle trigger($$) and a 15" hand guard from Aero. Topped it off with a vortex strike eagle 1-6x24 scope. It will shoot easily sub MOA at 100 yards and will shoot down to half MOA if I put a higher magnification scope on it.

In the AR15 platform, all are standard, except for the buffer tube, you have two types, Commercial and Mil-Spec, depending on which buffer tube you purchase, you need to purchase same type of stock, Commercial or Mil-Spec. On an AR10 platform, you have to be careful, no real set standard, better to purchase a builder's kit to match the Lower and Upper receiver to work together, everything else is pretty much the same. What is great about the AR's is you can customize to what you want, I will never purchase another one already built, I ended up changing all the components on my Bushmaster Carbon-15, just kept the Lower... My next build is an AR10 and plan to purchase the Aero Precision builder's kit, good luck on your build, the barrel and trigger is where I would not go cheap.

Anderson upper and lowers will be fine. I have used Anderson uppers and lower for my 3 Gun rifles and have put many rounds through them with out a problem. 3 Gun will test a rifle to it's extremes. Lap and locktite the quality barrel, which Satern is tough to beat, very accurate. Wilson Arms makes good barrels that are used by more than people would care to tell. Larue Tactical triggers are tough to beat for the money. Adjustable gas block is not mandatory, unless you plan on a can. Furniture as to what you like best. I would recommend a brass catcher since you will be chasing brass with a AR.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts