I used my lee target loader today

isaaccarlson

My Lee target loader (22-250) came in the mail today. I took a few minutes to get familiar with the kit and then used it to prep 2 pieces of brass after measuring the fired case dimensions. The fired cases had a lot of neck thickness variance. This kit has a neck reamer, so I decided to try it on one of the pieces of brass. I drove the case into the neck sizer, which was pretty easy. It only took a couple whacks with a wood mallet. I then reamed the neck. These kits hold the brass in the sizing die and the reamer is a guide fit inside the other end, so the necks get turned dead center and even. I had to make 4 plunges to clear the chips/shavings from the cutter, but it worked. I removed the brass and measured it. It was perfect. The needle on my dial indicator didn't even move when I checked it. It is within .0001" from what I can tell. I seated a bullet .010" just for kicks and could not see any runout. The reamer leaves me with .0035" neck tension. These kits are awesome. Reaming was the hardest part, just because the die is knurled. I might knock the tips off the knurling to make it more hand friendly.

Needless to say I am stoked. I don't have any powder or primers, but I'm ready for 'em.

I always wondered if those things worked ok… It seemed like serious hand work. Im interested in your results!
It's not that bad. The only part that gets kind of old is the reaming, but now it's done. Everything else is pretty fast and easy. The only thing the kit won't do is full length size. That's fine for right now. I need to locate some powder and primers before I can worry about that. Here is a picture of a 55 grain bullet seated .010" . It was just to check seating effort and alignment. I can see why people shoot more when they hand load. It's addicting. There is just something satisfying about it.

If anyone knows where I can find varget or h4895, or another temp stable powder for 22-250, please let me know. I am also looking for large rifle primers. Nobody around here knows when they will be back in stock.

Attachments

• FF7E147D-9B03-437B-A534-4EAB6B6AF66F.jpeg
    FF7E147D-9B03-437B-A534-4EAB6B6AF66F.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 55
  • 5DF7D345-93EB-4FCF-A95C-6A2D0AC361FE.jpeg
    5DF7D345-93EB-4FCF-A95C-6A2D0AC361FE.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 52