I think im loading a little hot. . is this a sign

bigrich954rr

Im loading my 338whisper case with 11.7 grains of blue dot powder. these are just 3 cases im loading up over and over.
i have 3 reloads with h4427 powder and 4 with the blue dot.
the primers are still tight. primers still have rounded edges. and just a dent no flow back or raising of the primer. With the blue dot but it looks like i might be getting a very very light shinny spot on the case head. wouldnt the the pockets or primers show signs first. they did on all my other guns.

Bigrich954rr,

I have no experience with the 338 whisper but I have used the BR case alot. Am I correct in that that is the parent case for the whisper?

I know the Rem and Norma cases are pretty darn soft and will show ejector marks very early in pressure. As long as you are getting that many firings on the case you are fine.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the small rifle primer pocket has more brass around it and will take a bit more pressure to loosen up. Not dramatically more but still a bit more.

One other thing that may be causing some early ejector spots on the case head is if there are some small burrs around the hole or if the plunder ejecter itself is a bit rough. Generally some gental polishing with 600 grit wet dry paper will take care of any small burrs that may be there. You will have to remove the ejector to do this though.

With that many firings on the case, I suspect you are in good shape pressure wise.

Kirby Allen(50)

I believe that the 338 Whisper is built off of the .221 Fireball case and is intended to keep its bullet in the sub-sonic range to avoid the sonic crack that is typical of bullets that exit the muzzle above 1,200 ft/sec.

A 300SMK fired from the .221 case aught to have the trajectory of a tossed pumpkin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif A most interesting cartridge.

VH,

I believe you are thinking of the 300 Whisper on the 221 case. The 338 version is on the larger BR case to the best of my knowledge.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver you are right its base on the 7mm br case and it is remington brass. ok as long as your thinking just soft cases. i will just have to keep a eye on it in warmer weather.

(A 300SMK fired from the .221 case aught to have the trajectory of a tossed pumpkin. A most interesting cartridge.)
yup but it turning out to be a fun little round. plus i cant throw a pumpkin 300 yards. still working out the loading of this round (hardest part). With the bullets at 1190fps not subsonic. it still had a much lower lever of report.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.