I need an alternative to Remington Brass

C

Chawlston

Hello all,

I have been lurking here for quite some time and now have the need for some input. I have a 30/8MM Reminton Magnum that I use for my short/medium range gun. I just finished forming cases and doing the pressure testing to determine max loads....... I am far from the printed maximums and do not experience any difficulty lifting the bolt with my index finger, but the primer pockets open up and the brass seems extremely soft. Any recommendations.....

Oh, my load and rig is:

85 Grains of RL22 with a Federal 215 behind a 160gr GS Custom HV (.530 BC) @ 3500 FPS in a 26" barrel on a Hall Express Action with a McMillan McHale stock. With this loading, I get about five firings and the deviation between shots is less than 10 FPS. Accuracy testing is this afternoon.

I have went as high as 3676 fps with the same bullet but only got two loadings on the brass.

I really just think the brass is of poor quality. Any help will be appreciated.

Chawlston

Well you could try a couple of things. You could take Win 7mm STW brass and neck it up or buy some 300 weatherby brass and fire form it. You could also neck down and fire form 375 H&H Norma brass but that is going to be some work.

[ QUOTE ]
I need an alternative to Remington Brass

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't we all! Especially for the Ultra's and fireball.

Oh, and just a friendly reminder so as to keep Len's day well, posts like this should be in "handloading", not "hunting". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Two things to try, 1) Winchester brass 2) After you fire the brass once Anile the necks and shoulder. It might be that you just need to soften the necks a little. : /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last night I tried to neck a 375 H&H case down to a 30 cal using 300 Win neck die and it was easy. I had to back the die out in order to get the shoulder right but if you are using a 30-8mm that is the same length as a H&H case. Norma makes 375 H&H brass and you have to fire form anyway so I would just get the norma 375 H&H brass neck it down and fire form it. You should also just be able to take a 300 Weatherby case and fire form it as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts