I love driving in winter….

Calvin45

Attachments

• 45F7DA6C-06C1-4A08-B18A-9E1A806C469B.png
    45F7DA6C-06C1-4A08-B18A-9E1A806C469B.png
    312.1 KB · Views: 150
Buffalo is in line for lake effect snow from lake ontario. I have hunted,camped, fished and snowmobiled in that area - it is called Tug Hill Plateau. Snowmobiling was not unusual to have the machine burried in the AM. Houses in the area have second story doors with no porches. Sometimes so much snow we could not get under the tree branches.

Buffalo is in line for lake effect snow from lake ontario. I have hunted,camped, fished and snowmobiled in that area - it is called Tug Hill Plateau. Snowmobiling was not unusual to have the machine burried in the AM. Houses in the area have second story doors with no porches. Sometimes so much snow we could not get under the tree branches.
Yeah gotta be one of the snowiest places on earth for sure - where I live in Saskatchewan we get much, much colder but nowhere near that kind of precipitation. Southern Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic Canada and those eastern seaboard get hammered pretty hard.

Yeah gotta be one of the snowiest places on earth for sure - where I live in Saskatchewan we get much, much colder but nowhere near that kind of precipitation. Southern Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic Canada and those eastern seaboard get hammered pretty hard.
Another place I hunt is Stillwater in Adirondacks. Average year snow fall is about 325". The local indigenous were going to reclaim some land in the area. I think it was after two winters they abandoned their plans.
A reserve called Moose River Plains is about 40mi across. They won't let you in without chains and say they may not be able to rescue you. BTW, the Moose are starting to repopulate the area - thus the name of the area. There used to be more moose than deer. The deer herd will decrease now as the two can not co-habitate because of a parasite carried by the Moose. About 200 are in the area - no season on them but several places people can go to observe them. .

Calvin, I was at our cabin/home one winter outside Old Forge. We and another couple were snowmobiling. One night the actual temp went to -54 deg. Look it up, record temp for Old Forge. I had a new Dodge SW that would not start. It warmed to 35 below and we thought it was a heat wave and went snowmobiling.

Calvin, I was at our cabin/home one winter outside Old Forge. We and another couple were snowmobiling. One night the actual temp went to -54 deg. Look it up, record temp for Old Forge. I had a new Dodge SW that would not start. It warmed to 35 below and we thought it was a heat wave and went snowmobiling.
Cool! I did not know it ever got that cold there…googles showing -52f/-47c as the all time record for New York State in 1979 (and no doubt there were pockets where it was colder than that). Is this the event you're referring to?

We get a couple days like that just about every winter here but we don't pretend they're fun either haha.

I was pleasantly surprised earlier this winter, we had our first true cold snap beginning of December, did hit -40 one morning (c and F meet there)…I forgot to plug in our minivan and the thing cold started! Didn't sound too impressed with me tho….

I use to snowshoe in to upper Salmon River for steelheads and those little 2-3' evergreens were actual tops of mature trees. I had a cousins son with us one day and decided to step off snowshoe to prove we don't need them. Took us over 2 hours to get him back up on his snowshoes! Told next time will leave him to spring thaw!

I use to snowshoe in to upper Salmon River for steelheads and those little 2-3' evergreens were actual tops of mature trees. I had a cousins son with us one day and decided to step off snowshoe to prove we don't need them. Took us over 2 hours to get him back up on his snowshoes! Told next time will leave him to spring thaw!
Holy smokes haha. Yeah I've never experienced anything close To that much snow. A part of it as well is that those regions that get more nasty blizzards are kind of caught in the clash between hot and cold air and therefore violent weather. Where I live after November its not much of a clash…cold
Just dominates. And then there's that lake effect (my uncle doesn't beleive it's a real thing…he's wrong! 🤣)

Same reason the USA gets so many more
Tornadoes than Canada…y'all are caught in the middle of a Canada/Mexico weather fight. As a Canadian of course I blame the Mexicans!. If the whole continent was just -30 things would be a lot more peaceful 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Less crime anyway…cuz everyone just stays home and out of
Trouble - seriously tho in my town there's like 5x as much crime in the summer.

Ha! Just remembered a steelhead trip to Oswego in 70's. Snowed so hard, Salmon River was giant flowing slushy! We would cast out and it would land on top of the slush and would not penetrate into water! We gave up after 3 days! Snowed like 75" over 3 days! I had 77 Ramcharger with 40" tires and even then tough to get around. Drove home and got maybe 30 miles from Oswego and sun was shining!!!

In '66, upstate NY got hit, 66" in 24hr. I was in college and plowed snow on the side. Had a Dodge Power Wagon. Main street was down to 1 lane. I had 15 blocks in bed and chains on rear wheels. With plow raised full up I was plowing snow.
I to fished the Salmon River years ago. Best fishing though was out of Saugatuck, MI We chartered and limited out on kings for six guests, captain and mate - 8 limits. All around 15 to 20lb.