I hesitate to even write about this

Riptide

...but seeing as how this is the most general/unrelated forum title I could post under, I figured I'll just place it here and hope for the best.

Yesterday, in case no one here heard, Chairman Bernanke of the Federal Reserve announced the new QE Infinity policy. You might recall from the previous two (QE1 and QE2) failures that Quantitative Easing (QE) is politi-speak for "we're going to print a bunch of money and buy a lot of crap" in the hopes of stimulating the economy. Why are we repeating something that hasn't worked the first two times? No one dares try to explain that. But this new policy says that they are going to print unlimited amounts of money until their goals are achieved.

My real reason for writing is that I do honestly care about the small tribe of armed gentlemen/ladies here. This policy is not just some harmless thing that the boys in Washington have cooked up, this is pure evil because of the inflation it creates, and the wealth that it steals. Money is really only "worth" anything because of its scarcity. We use "scarce" dollars to buy goods (food, clothing, ammo, etc.). When the Federal Reserve prints trillions of new dollars, the dollar you work hard for, or hold in your hand is less scarce. Ergo, you need more dollars to achieve the "worth" of the same food that you used to buy for less. We see this as food prices going up, gas prices going up, your savings and retirement and pensions are worth less, your Social Security check doesn't buy as much. That's inflation, and when you're promised unlimited printing, it means hyperinflation. Up until now, we've had a small chance of avoiding hyperinflation, if some motivated individuals took decisive action. However, this announcement squashes that hope, and guarantees the death of the dollar as we know it. Plenty of information can be found online about hyperinflations, possibly the two most famous being the Weimar Republic in Germany, and more recently Zimbabwe (where dollars were worth more as toilet paper than currency). Hyperinflations make $120 loaves of bread a reality.

I write this not to scare anyone, but to help warn those who possibly don't understand all of the fancy talk going on these days. Please protect yourselves and your families. Put your money into things that have worth, things that you can actually hold in your hand. Take care of your necessities - food, water, shelter, defense, medication, etc. Once you have those, historically silver and gold have acted as a preservation of wealth during hyperinflationary periods, some other metals have the potential to do so as well. Canned goods and alcohol are always good investments.

Again, I hope not to scare anyone, but these are dangerous times we live in. Historically, the most successful have been those with the best information, and I hope that you find some manner of success from this.

Respect to all,
Ripgun)

Agree with Roy.

It is a shooters forum but the OP kept the topic apolitical so it should not be too offensive in my opinion.

I am definitely uncomfortable with our monetary policy.

My definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

I feel it prudent to have plenty of hard assets. And to bring it into context of a shooting forum, I feel it wise to have plenty of ammo, stuff to make said ammo and lots of ways to send it down range:)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.