I am looking for opinions on bedding systems

midmo

I am looking for people's experiences with either glass bedding or using a aluminum bedding block. I have heard good things about glass bedding but I don't hear or know a whole lot about aluminum bedding blocks. I have heard that with the bedding blocks it shooting the rifle over and over to makes the surfaces of the action mold into the block. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am looking into because I would like to do one or the other in the future for my rifle.
Thanks in advance.

I am looking for people's experiences with either glass bedding or using a aluminum bedding block. I have heard good things about glass bedding but I don't hear or know a whole lot about aluminum bedding blocks. I have heard that with the bedding blocks it shooting the rifle over and over to makes the surfaces of the action mold into the block. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am looking into because I would like to do one or the other in the future for my rifle.
Thanks in advance.

Bedding blocks/imbeds do not replace a good bedding job. They do however give the stock a better foundation for bedding. They also normally have pillars, even though some have to be shimmed in order to contact the receiver, also as mentioned on early post they are not always lined up with the barrel channel and must be bedded to correct this condition.

In my opinion the best system is a stock with the imbed and a proper pillar bedding.

J E CUSTOM

The action will be worn in half before it ever fully conforms to an aluminum bedding block. Use the block as a foundation for a nice stress free skim bedding. Means do not allow the screws to tighten in any way while the bedding is curing.

I think the jury's still out on pillared epoxy vs. plain epoxy bedding in conventional stocks. Tube guns with all metal parts are something else.

Some match winners and record setters still use plain Jane epoxy bedding in wood or synthetic stocks without pillars.

JE Custom is right about bedding blocks. They're a stop-gap solution to poor stock inletting on commercial rifles that doesn't perfectly fit the receiver. Better than none at all, but in second place behind properly done epoxy bedding.

Remember to keep the bedding off the barrel; totally free float the barrel.

mid, perhaps checking inletting on a new stock will help also. I've seen a few with spots which interfere with proper fit. Candle soot or available marking material show these spots. Good luck

I've had a B&C Medalist with full bedding block and it really improved the 300Wby Vanguard I bought it for. I just recently bought a Boyd's laminated stock and I epoxy and pillar bedded it to correct the bad action inletting job by Boyd's the other rifle I wanted to ring more accuracy out of the factory stock which the recoil lug was bedded with some kind of glue that was soft and rubbery. I also bedded the first two inches of the barrel in front of the action to help support the floated barrel. Don't know how well the bedding jobs have helped either rifle yet since I haven't had a chance to shoot them.

Attachments

• KIMG0003.jpg
    KIMG0003.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 101
  • KIMG0004.jpg
    KIMG0004.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.