question on bedding

shifty06

I have question on bedding. this rifle was bedded before I recived it most likely at the factory (from what i can tell of the sparse use of bedding compound). and when I was looking at it. the recoil lug bedding is great solid and looks good. however it is a different story on the tang. thers is not very much touching the tang area just a little at the corners.

my question is can i just do the tang area again? or do I need to do the whole bedding job over again? (i know doing the whole job over again would prolly be better just not real feasible at this point.) Reason I am asking is I just have hand tools and I don't have a dremel. or anything to remove the compound in the recoil lug area.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Shifty

I have question on bedding. this rifle was bedded before I recived it most likely at the factory (from what i can tell of the sparse use of bedding compound). and when I was looking at it. the recoil lug bedding is great solid and looks good. however it is a different story on the tang. thers is not very much touching the tang area just a little at the corners.

my question is can i just do the tang area again? or do I need to do the whole bedding job over again? (i know doing the whole job over again would prolly be better just not real feasible at this point.) Reason I am asking is I just have hand tools and I don't have a dremel. or anything to remove the compound in the recoil lug area.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Shifty

I would recommend doing the hole bedding job over . If you don't like the bedding you have
chances are that the rest is not very good.

Plus, it is hard to get uniform pressure/contact when doing partial bedding.

If you do a partial and it doesn't shoot as well as you think, you will be second guessing
yourself.

J E CUSTOM

JE thanks for the info. I done partial bedded it this mournin. Pillar bedding looked good but re done the part of the tang I didn't like. I'm looking at a dremel tool right now so if I don't like the results. Then I'll drill all of it out and just do it all over.

I also was looking at some threads about bedding the scope base. And got curious and pulled mine. I could see 2 rub spots on top of reciver after 40 rounds. So I also bedded it. And done a trigger job. If I could get this rifle 2 shoot 1/2 MOA with my home rolled I would be super excited. It shot great before all this just hoping for a little better. Especially since I got rid of that 6lb. Trigger and have a nice 1.5lb. Average with no creep or over travel. Sorry for rant just excited.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.