Hunting with Monos beyond 1k

Westernhuntr

I'm looking at the 262 cutting edge MTAC hunting bullet for elk potentially out to 1200 yards.
Will expansion and terminal performance be adequate verses a lead core bullet assuming a muzzle velocity of 2950?

You talking about the MTH or MTAC? MTAC is not a hunting bullet. I'm sure there are those that are happy with their terminal experience with them (MTH), but I'm not one of those people. They were, however, about as accurate as you can probably make a bullet, out to some very long ranges. I would go with their Lazers over the other 2 bullet types mentioned, if for hunting. In any case, I don't believe you will get the potential damage on target as say something like a Berger.

You talking about the MTH or MTAC? MTAC is not a hunting bullet. I'm sure there are those that are happy with their terminal experience with them (MTH), but I'm not one of those people. They were, however, about as accurate as you can probably make a bullet, out to some very long ranges. I would go with their Lazers over the other 2 bullet types mentioned, if for hunting. In any case, I don't believe you will get the potential damage on target as say something like a Berger.

Yeah I meant the match tactical hunting (MTH).
Have you used them on game at LR, what is it about the Lasers that you prefer over the MTH?

I've had some epic failures with non bonded bullets on elk at ranges 700 and beyond, I won't use Berger's or any of the other thin jacketed bullets again.

Currently only interested in bonded or monos, just trying to get some feedback from the field

Monos generally wont expand past about 1800fps (unless specificly designed to do so) -- what is your velocity at your intended hunting distances?

I know there are monos specificly designed to open all the way down to 600fps, but they generally aren't designed for speeds over 1500 or so--- also need to calculate your energy at distance and see if you are happy that it is adequate and also the accuracy is enough for proper shot placement

Lots of things to think about at those distances

Have you used them on game at LR, what is it about the Lasers that you prefer over the MTH?
I have used them in a larger caliber/chambering than what you are asking about and just wasn't impressed at all with the wound channel. Have a buddy that used them in some larger capacity .338's and had the same assessment. Super accurate but animals shot with these rifles (what most would consider waayyy overkill for elk and deer) stayed on their feet for a lot longer than what we are used to with cup-n-core bullets. When you go from bang flops to tracking animals for up to a couple-few hundred yards, you (at least I) get a little disappointed. The MTH I used has an advertised minimum expansion velocity of 1600 fps, they are pretty soft. The Lazers I've shot advertise going down to around 1300 fps (think some say 1200). I think that the Lazers, with their larger hollow point- plugged with the plastic tip, may exhibit better expansion/petals separating and produce larger wounds while still having a large shank to push through.
This is the performance I have had with the Hammer bullets, mo-betta terminal performance. Just received some 395's to try out.

As stated above. Also the laser is a much better long range hunting bullet than the mth. I've had several long conversations with the guys at cutting edge and they assured me the laser is the way to go.
If I remember correctly the guys were even shooting the lasers in the king of two mile.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.