Hunting rifle trigger pull weight.

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Jeremybj, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Jeremybj

Jeremybj Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I am about ready to order my Weatherby Vanguard 300 Weatherby Magnum. I am looking at getting an aftermarket trigger for it. My question is, what weight of trigger pull will give me accuracy without having the gun go off when I don't intend. Or just tell me where your trigger is set to and why. I am thinking of going with a Timney Trigger between 2-4 pounds. I was maybe thinking like 2.5 pounds.

2. Browninglover1

Browninglover1 Well-Known Member

Most of my triggers run between 2.5 and 3.25 pounds. I've shot some lighter triggers from target guns that I absolutely loved but my 2.5 pound trigger has surprised me more than once when the weather gets real cold. I set my big game triggers at 3 pounds because they are plenty light enough to not cause me to yank on them, but they are heavy enough I still feel them a little bit with cold fingers. It's just what I've found works best for me.

3. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

My trigger is set at 2 pounds and it works for me each person is different. You should be surprised when the gun fires prevents flinching. My favorite trigger is a jewell and any after market trigger should be safe as long as nothing touches the trigger.

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I set all of my triggers at 2.2 pounds. they are light but not to light.

I have tried other weights including very light and found them to be dangerous so I settled for
    2.2 and it seams just right for me.

Be sure and weigh all custom triggers because they can fool you. I use Jewell and Timney a lot
    and they feel different set at the same weight. (They allways feel lightest than the factory triggers.

2,5 to 3 pounds is a good place to start with a hunting rifle and you can tweak it one way or the
    other to suit yourself.

I do not recomend any thing less than 2 pounds for hunting rifles. Some people can get buy with
    less weight but the first time a round goes off before you are realy on, you will add a little weight
    to your trigger.

Bench guns can be set much lighter because they are in position (Pointing down range) before
    a round is inserted. so if it goes of before you are ready or intend it to, it is just embarrassing.

Note : Be sure you know which screw to adjust before touching the trigger and DO NOT adjust the
    sear unless you are an expert. (This leads to most of the accidental discharges).

J E CUSTOM

5. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I have my rifles set at 2.75 to 3.5. I hunt a lot in freezing temperatures, high altitudes, and a chance I could winded.

6. MHO

MHO Well-Known Member

Mine are set at 2.5. Hope it helps.

7. Snubbie

Snubbie Well-Known Member

The Vanguard has a pretty good trigger that is easily adjustable. Per a suggestion I received on this forum, I adjusted mine down per the instructions, before buying a Timney, and it's pretty good now. I have not measured the pull weight yet but it is plenty light enough for me for hunting. So, I've personally backed off from adding the Timney, at least for now.

8. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

I tried buffing and polishing and adjusting one of my Vanguard triggers several times before I gave up and installed a Timney. Huge difference now! So, I installed one on my 2nd Vanguard without even thinking based on the pull and feel of the factory trigger.

My 3rd Vanguard has a very nice trigger so I haven't touched that one at all. Check yours out first, try to adjust the pull, but if you don't like it don't waste your time on it.

9. mthunter86

mthunter86 Well-Known Member

my triggers are all set at 2.25 lbs. i practice in all weather settings and have never had any problems in the cold.

10. youngbuck

youngbuck Well-Known Member

Most of my LR rifles are set up around 2lbs. It should go off 1/3-half way throught the though process "It should go off any time now". It should be a surprise, but you should be ready for it. I never shoot with gloves. If I needed to, I would probably prefer a heavier pull. The only time a bullet goes into the chamber is when I'm set up, ready to shoot.

11. Dodge4x4

Dodge4x4 Member

My Rem 700 has a factory trigger adjusted down to 3 pounds and it's great for hunting. Not too light, but much lighter than the factory pull.