Hunting Binos

Greg Duerr

Im looking at upgrading to a better pair of Binoculars. I cant logically justify spending $2300 on a pair of Leica's but will consider some at about $1200 any recomendations.........................I have looked at Pentax, and Nikon............Vortex, etc.

Greg

Greg, witht that budget dont even mess with pentax or nikon. If you want the best of the best get swarovskis. With a budget of 1200 you can easily get a used pair of swarovski 10x42. They are probably the best all purpose binocular. You can probably even get some used Sawrovski Els for 1200 too. Look on Ebay or check craigslist in your area. Vortex is an option as I here there 10x42 viper is outstanding. But remember you will never look back after buying a swarovski. I HIGHLY recomend you get swarovskis.

I beg to differ in saying the Cabela Euros are of comparable glass (no offense). They are nice binos and worth the price but not as good as Swaorvski. Comparing in a store is not effect becuase of the lighting. The only real way to compare is in the field and preferably at last light or first light. You can probably find used swaros for under 1000. They are a lifetime investment. Dont skimp!

Well you are right about not skimping...................Swarovskis are incredable as my bother in law has some 10x42's and some 8x32's plus their spotting scope.................of course his wife Jeanie had a few words for him.........but after all he sold his Motorcycle to buy them................

I believe that there is an optic store on line that sells used Swarovskis...................I will look into it.

Greg

Look through a pair of Zen Ray ED2s. They are real close to ELs. I think better than Razors (haven't looked through razor HDs). If they made a rangefinder/bino combo with that glass, I would probably use them over my geovids. Usually things that sound too good to be true usually are, (Swaro class glass for a little over 400) but Zen Rays walk the walk.

Years ago, I got tired of carrying a large heavy binocular on a strap around my neck. I decided to buy a quality roof prisim binocular. Tried Simmons, Tasco, and other cheapos. Finally settled on a Leica 10X20, which then was about $400. I still have it and love it. Yes, the small objectives are not real clear at dawn and dusk - but that is only 10% of your hunting time. I have carried this binocular often in many states, and never wanted anything else.

You might consider a shoulder harness for a heavy binocular.

I've tried Swarovskis on a number of occasions and have never been impressed with them. I don't know if they just don't work well with my eyes or what the problem is but I get better resolution with my Leupold binos than any of the Swaros that I've tried. We tried setting up signs at various distances and I could make out the lettering at greater distances with mine than any of the Swaros and a pair of Zeiss that I tried. If you can do it I would try different binos side by side, that way you get to compare them with the same enviros. Good glass can make the difference between a good hunt and a disappointment. That includes binos, spotters and rifle scopes.

Gus

A pair of Vortex Razor HD 10x42's come in right at $1,200.... I have a pair of the 8x42's and they absolutely blow me away.

Ditto what team pete said, I have seen good used els for 1000. I love my 10x32's. I have had most top binos, right now I have nikon, bushnell, lieca, leupold, swaro, have had ziess, should have kept them 10x40 classics great glass. Like my swaro and lieca best

Right now Im looking at the Vortex Razors 10x42 HD..................They have an impressive warrenty.

Does anyone else have a pair............................??

I have a pair of the 8x42's and they are everything I was hoping for. The only thing is they can be a little heavy on the neck, so I would suggest a harness strap with them.

I know vortex makes great glass but I really doubt the razors can compare to els??? Maybe I am wrong. Anyone who knows chime in. I really wouldn't worry about the warranty. Swarovski has a good warranty. Mine are used and imy buddy cracked one of the lenses. They replaced and cleaned everything for 50 bucks. I thought it was fair. If u buy swaro you will never buy another pair of binos again

ELs are great binos and pretty much the standard for top dog light weight neck binos. I have the least experience with ELs. I Did spend a whole day with a set of 10x50s that I liked. I've spent lots and lots of time behind SLCs, Zeiss classics 10s 15s, leica geos, duos, all kinds of vortex; razors kaibabs, and plenty other brands. My go to set up is 10x geovids and 15x SLC. In my experience the best bang for the buck binos (different budgets) were Nikon Monarch ATBs 10x for 300ish. Then I thought razors were great for their price. Ive spent lots of time behind 10s and 12s (non HD). I bought a pair of Zen Rays ED2s about a year ago. I was amazed. You aren't going to believe me unless you look through them yourself. I read reviews that said EL quality for 400$ blah blah blah. I went out on a limb and bought a pair. I'm happy I did. I want to buy their newer spotter to compare against my Swaro ATS 80 (non HD). Their reviews are saying its close to Kowa.

In the end its hard to find fault with Razors, even when you are used to ELs. The fit and finish might not be there with Swarp but optically its real close. IMO ED2s can do everything razors can, if not better, for way less.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.