Hunting accidents

Aussie_hunter

I had a accident while out hunting the other day well had two actually, I fell down a very steep hill and smashed my head on a tree branch and knocked myself out briefly and then the next day on the same trip I shot a fox and as I picked it up it bit me on the wrist iv never gone to touch a animal iv shot with out making sure its defiantly dead. So that's a trip I soon won't forget. So that I don't feel like a complete dickhead has anyone ever had a accident or hurt themselves while out hunting or failing that had a close call? Hope no one was seriously hurt.

I had a accident while out hunting the other day well had two actually, I fell down a very steep hill and smashed my head on a tree branch and knocked myself out briefly and then the next day on the same trip I shot a fox and as I picked it up it bit me on the wrist iv never gone to touch a animal iv shot with out making sure its defiantly dead. So that's a trip I soon won't forget. So that I don't feel like a complete dickhead has anyone ever had a accident or hurt themselves while out hunting or failing that had a close call? Hope no one was seriously hurt.

I think most hunters have had some kind of mishap if they have hunted very long.

The trick is to have a plan and be prepared for anything.

The one that sticks out in my mind that happened to me was - While bow hunting squirrels
with my 10 year old son I knocked one out of the tree that wasn't quite dead.

My son was eager to help with the retrieval and was on him like a duck on a June bug.

I tried to stop him from picking the squirrel up but was to slow. fortunately he picked up the
arrow with the ****ed off squirrel still on it.

Now the squirrel was working his way up the arrow intent on biting my son, so I did the only
thing I could think of to keep the squirrel from biting him, I grabbed the squirrel who in a previous
life must have worked for the subway in New York because he realy punched my ticket
(Several times).

After a series of rabies shots I learned not to touch any wild game unless you know it is dead.

Just one of many "Incidents"

J E CUSTOM

Had to get out of the tree stand and cut my BVD's off with a knife. No TP so I had to do it. Traumatic. I did spray the pile with Scent Away before climbing back up the stand. Finished up the day commando style.

while hunting Coues deer here in southern Arizona, I fell and jammed a cactus spine into the corner of my eye, just missed being very serious, eye protection from then on

When I was a kid, (17-18) I was Whitetail hunting with a Friend in Alabama. We were hunting on private land, unfamiliar to us. We had been told to follow a fence line through the woods from our drop off point. I remember I had my brand new Remington 870 with me. Our plan was to set up on some pastures and feed we had seen on the way in. As we were walking along, I realized we were walking through an old homestead. Barely discernible in the woods. My partner was about 100 Yards off, I could see his blaze knit cap between the trees on occasion. All the sudden, I take a step, and there is a awful snap and crack, Im falling straight down an old well! The way I am carrying the remington ends up saving me more or less, I end up with a crook of an arm over the receiver and hanging from my shotgun with my feet and legs up to my knees in the water. Scared the ever loving crap out of me. I was hanging there, calling for my Buddy Jimmy. Of course, he couldnt find me because there was no frame of reference. I heard him running around calling, kind of panicked, like me. Anyhow, I was able to kind of get into a both elbows over the gun so my head was up. He sees me an drags me out. My knee boots are full of water ( no wonder I couldnt "chin" myself out of there) Its in the 20's, its cold. We decide ( stupidly ) to "race" back to camp so I can get warm and dry. ( Dont do this, stay where you are, build a fire, get warm and dry immediately) So, by the time we get back, hes pretty much dragging my frozen *** into camp. I almost died. It all worked out, but, it definitely scared the S&*% out of me. I learned some important lessons that I carry with me to this day. ( fire, 3 ways to make it, plan on being out overnight, dry socks, extra pair of long johns etc etc) I also ended up with the best bench racing story possible to impress my teenage buddies with. We all had a laugh, but, inside, I knew exactly how lucky I was. I kept that 28" bent barrel for a long while, at first for "proof" ( LoL) and then for respect. Life comes at you fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts