Hualapai Reservation Arizona Elk Hunt

Dirty45

Has anybody ever hunted this reservation? I've heard of some monsters coming out of it. Two of my buddies and I were fortunate to get some "Deformed" antlered tags. Not exactly sure what the deem deformed, but I'm pumped to go. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

45, I hunt the ranch bordering the reservation every year for elk. I've seen some monsters there. Many say the bulls go to the reservation after the rut to hang out. Never heard of the deformed antler hunt, must be a cull hunt. I've noticed most of the bulls in that area have a possible genetically shorter G-3. What is the date of your hunt?

I think it is a cull hunt. Sounds like they have a lot of non-typicals from what I'm told.

It's in the middle of august....

Middle of August will be in the 90's, hot and humid with lots of rain and mud. Hit the Skywalk while you're there. Is it guided?

You can select your own guide (preferred method) and if you don't, one will be appointed to you......you can look at historical harvest information and find the names of the really good guides......I suggest you start there. Minimum cost for a guide for the Deformed Antler hunt is $1,000, but this was a 2013 publication. Here is some more info from their website:

Deformed Antlered Elk (per Hualapai Game & Fish website):

An antlered elk showing abnormal pedicle (offset) growth resulting

from genetic factors, injury, or systematic effects.

Translation - Guide will essentially tell you what you can and can't shoot.

All Deformed antlered elk hunters are required to attend an educational workshop provided by

HDNR prior to their hunt (day before the hunt I believe). Class time and location will be posted upon check-in at the Hualapai

Game and Fish Department.

Please let us know how you do........I'm very curious on the number of opportunities you will have on this hunt. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.