First Time Elk hunt Arizona 7W

Apothus

Hey guys, I am really excited because I've gotten drawn for a resident Arizona bull elk rifle hunt in 7 west. I've grown up watching hunting shows and reading magazines, always dreaming of a monster mule deer or elk, but none of my family hunted. Now, I'm married and my father in law put in with me and we got drawn. I've hunted feral hogs and some upland bird but this is my first big game hunt, so I've got questions in my excitement.

First, I've been told that since this hunt will be November 25th through December 2nd, that the bulls will be alone or in pairs and not real vocal. What's the best way to find them?

Has anyone here hunted this zone or close to it? What is the terrain like? I'm not in great shape but I'm working on it already and have 7 months to lose about 30 pounds. I'm viewing this as my life time opportunity, since we have a child on the way and not sure I'll be getting another chance for a long while. I want to take it very seriously and get the most out of it.

I've dabbled in long range shooting, making hits out to 1000 yards, but I will be using a 30-06 for this hunt and limit my shots to 300/400 yards. I have a weatherby rifle, with dope to 400 yards with 180 grain bullets from Fusion. It shoots right around a minute of angle, sometimes more sometimes less. I've also just started reloading and will be shooting the 168 Berger vld hunting bullets. With the higher speed of the Bergers, the ballistic calculator is showing similar energy from both weights. Assuming I can get better accuracy with the hand loaded Bergers, can I get away with 168 grains for elk?

Anything else I haven't thought of that I need to consider? I'm not expecting a 380 or 390 world class bull, I'd be totally stoked with a 3x3, I just want the best chance of success.

Thanks guys

A, the late hunt you drew is in a great unit. The weather is your biggest concern, can get a lot of snow and at that altitude it WILL be cold. You'll need a heated trailer, not a tent. Not a lot of open long shot opportunity, they like the pine forest for the most part especially after opening day. There will be a lot of hunters near Williams since it has motels, restaurants and alcohol. Get to the reloading and shooting, loose the weight and scout the heck out of that unit. You'll do fine. Good luck

Jay Scott podcast--- he has some great info on that specific area and even that timeframe.

Episodes 70, 80, 81, 83, 93, 104-109, 140, Hell-- I would go through them all starting with Episode 1 and download anything that says 'ELK' in the title.

I have a 45min drive to and from work and I listen to podcasts on hunting all the time and his is one of the best!

7W is a good unit. I'll be hunting the same late rifle bull hunt, but in another unit. PM me your number, and I'd be happy to give you some pointers. Like Dosh said, the weather can be an issue that time of the year. It can be really nice, or you can freeze your @ss off. A good camper that can handle cold weather would be a very smart idea. Plus some warm water proof snow gear. Congrats on the tag!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.