Howa Trigger adjustment How to.

Thanks for the video. Thanks for all the info after that too. My trigger was very rough with a lot of creep. I took it apart cleaned it with brake cleaner polished all the working surfaces. I coated every thing in a couple of times in AF Teflon drying beween coatings. WOW all creep is gone! It is extremly smooth with a very clean brake. I do not know what the trigger pull wieght is but it is light and very acceptable.

Thanks for the tips.:)

Unfortunately the clip shows the adjustment of the old trigger - not the HACT.
Regards
Pieter

Old trigger ...

Howatriggermechanismindetail_zpsbe290cd6.jpg

Howatrigger2_zps45f11697.jpg

New HACT ...

howahact03_zps847fc664.jpg

As I understand it, unless I misconstrued it (I'm sure others will chime in), that the adjustment is similar except it is now a 2-stage trigger system.

Perhaps you can post your query here >>> Howa

Good luck!

Ed

The new Howa trigger is a great trigger as far as being 2 stage, 3 position safety and a very clean break. However, unfortunately it has very little room for adjustment. Mine is a couple oz under 3 lbs. I'm taking mine to my smith to see if he can lighten it up by modifying the spring or sear.

I found this on another Forum:

For liability reasons, I won't tell you exactly how I did it, but take a look at the trigger design pictures Howa has all over the web, like this one... http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/12/howa-offers-upgraded-2-stage-trigger-plus-dbm-conversion-kits/

The trick is in the (red) "Actuator" piece. Look at the picture, understand how it works, and with some careful honing in that area, you're not likely to need to buy an aftermarket trigger. The way this thing is designed, I could probably have went lower than 18oz., but even at the factory "low" 2.4lb setting, after the smooth first-stage, it breaks like glass. 18oz. will do me just fine.

Actually, I kind of wonder if that is why Howa has these line-drawings all over the internet; so mechanically inclined shooters can see exactly how they're designed, and see where the improvements need to be made.

One warning though, several small clips, springs, and pins are involved in the disassembly, so be careful not to lose any of them. Fortunately however, to do what I did, you only need to remove the trigger and the "actuator", which will both come out the bottom of the trigger assembly.

As you see above, he said "For liability reasons, I won't tell you exactly how I did it" .

I think we are responsible people and I do not know why he does not share it with us. I hope someone on Long Range Hunting can help me.

Regards
Pieter

If it is possible to modify a trigger, why spend a lot of money on a new one?
A new trigger would be the last option.
Thanks for the assistence.

Pieter

I'm sure it can be modified, i.e. by a competent gunsmith, but an hourly cost of $50-$75 labor cost and a minimum charge, it might be a wash at the end.

In addition, someone might be happy with that trigger "as-is". You can then use part of the recouped cost from the sale towards a new one. Your choice to call, just trying to provide alternatives for your consideration!

I personally keep all my hunting rifle trigger pull at 2.5-3.0 lbs.

Hey Kiwi Nate, just wondering if you removed the safety block, would you be able to freely adjust the trigger with no sear engagement issue? Picking up a Howa next week and don't know whether to adjust the stock trigger or just buy a timney.
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.